Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday, Sep19th, 2015, C.C. Burnikel

Theme: None

Words: 72 (missing Q,U,Z)

Blocks: 31

 What, no baseball~!??  How can this be a puzzle from our blog founder and host without ANY reference to baseball~?  I am concerned.  Wait; what, no "U"~? - there is no "I" in TEAM, but there is a "ME" - what about "U"~?  None here.  C.C.'s last Saturday puzzle was in May this year, and upon reviewing that grid, found I had the same result then as I did today - a few too many 'fun sponge' proper names (*; I count 12, not including place names and brand names) to make this enjoyable, even though I did finish within my personal time - and yes, with one Google, and red-letter help on two entries.  Oh well.  Two 12-letter spanners, that may be related, but I will leave that up to you to decide;

27. Term used by President Xi Jinping in promoting long-range goals for his people : CHINESE DREAM

44. 1994 Ben Stiller comedy : REALITY BITES

Dr. No Wa~!

ACROSS:

1*. 2003 documentary set in the Philippines : IMELDA - starting off with a vague clue, and a proper name to boot

7*. Emulates Cassandra : PREDICTS - no clue, but I had -ICTS, and so I WAGed it.  We're talking about this Cassandra, not this Cassandra; she's up next month

Elvira ( Cassandra Peterson )

15. Studio technicians : MIXERS - music studio

16. '70s "SNL" parody : BABA WAWA - Barbara Walters parody from Gilda Radner

17. In-demand groups : A-LISTS

18. Late order? : STEP ON IT

19. Trading ctrs. : MKTS

20. Reserved : TAKEN

22*. Tenor Carreras : JOSÉ

23*. Name meaning "young warrior" in Old Norse : SVEN - Dah~! Not ODIN

25. Finished : DID - like, say I "finished" my homework

26. Money maker : MINT - straight up

30. Coll. supervisors : RAs

31. Misses at the hoedown : GALS - misses as in ladies, not stray gun shots

32. Saws : ADAGES

36. Dossier shorthand : A.K.A. - Also Known As

37. Bass, e.g. : ALE

38. Magic, on scoreboards : ORLando - we did get some basketball, but....

39. Meal opener : OAT - oatmeal, took way to long to dawn on me

40. Plagues : BESETS

42*. Artist who wrote "Diary of a Genius" : DALI - the image associated with the actual book has a theme that is probably inappropriate for this forum; I personally like surrealism

Galatea of the Spheres

43. "__ seen worse" : I'VE

47. Corrosive fluids : LYES

49. Kyrgyzstan province : OSH


50. Span. titles : SRAs

51*. Pianist Templeton : ALEC

52. Mucho : LOTSA

54. Toronado, for one : OLDS - there's a picture like this hanging in my auto parts store


56. Orange County seat : SANTA ANA

58. Let slide : IGNORE

60. Adds to the database, redundantly : ENTERS IN

61. Key of Beethoven's Ninth : D MINOR - so I did the usual, - M - - OR

62. Nerve condition? : COLD FEET

63. Take : ACCEPT

DOWN:

1*. Saudi Arabia's Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais, for one : IMAM - dah~! Not EMIR

2. Parlor cooler : MILKSHAKE

3. Permits to leave : EXIT VISAS - 'DISMISSES' was not working, since I felt "CHINESE" was correct.  Turned out to be the noun, not the verb, in this case

4. Taper off : LESSEN

5*. 2000 Richard Gere role : DR T.

6. Little help? : ASST - har-har, abbr assistant

7. "Curious George" media brand : PBS KIDS - my Google; I did not know George had 'sold out' for the money.  I recall reading his book that showed how to make a paper boat;


8. Like "American Hustle" : RATED R

9*. "Proof of Heaven" author Alexander : EBEN

10. Fist bump : DAP - huh~?? The urban dictionary definition -  I only know this DAP

11. Battle site commemorated on a 3-cent stamp : IWO JIMA - I am so proud of myself - I WAGed this off the "A" only

12. Vixia camcorder maker : CANON

13. Plot thickener : TWIST

14. Fill up : SATE

21*. "Skyfall" singer : ADELE - Gratuitous James Bond Daniel Craig image


24. Cancels out : NEGATES

26. Improvisational game : MAD LIBS - played it as a kid; "34a." led to the name per Wiki

27. __ cake : CRAB

28. Hot stuff : SALSA

29. Like some retirements : EARLY

33. Solo : GO IT ALONE - GuITAr jam was looking like a possibility, but I was gritting my teeth

34. Show unwelcome interest : EAVESDROP

35. Notre Dame figs. : STEs

38. Courtroom procedures : OATHS

41. Put up : ERECTED

42. Cold : DISTANT

45. Canadian dollar coin : LOONIE - we've seen this before; the loon featured on the face


46. Having a 13-Down : IRONIC

47. Peruvian prairie : LLANO

48*. Tovah Feldshuh Broadway role : YENTL - I knew this actress from her days as a defense lawyer on Law & Order

51. "Wait __!" : A SEC

52. Use a beam on : LASE

53*. Radamès' love : AIDA - not sure if we were looking for the person, or the synonym

55*. Rockefeller Center muralist : SERT


57. "Walk me!" : "ARF~!" - Dog speak

59. Safari maker : GMC - I had the "M", so that left me very few choices; we shot the downtown bus chase scene at the 48hr film festival from a GMC Safari; I was 'rocket-launcher guy'


Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment