Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saturday, Sep 12th, 2015, Barry C. Silk

Theme: Saturday Silkie~!

Words: 70 (missing J,Q,Z)

Blocks: 30

I figured it was Silkie time, and there you have it~!  This one started off well, went blank, then with just the minimum of crossings (perps) it filled in nicely, and well inside my personal time allotment.  No fun-sponge proper names, vague references or any other clues that would normally force me into cheating, red-letters and Google.  Makes for a pleasant start to the weekend~!  Triple 10-letter corners across, and almost triple 9's in the down, with one spanner;

35. With "The," Massachusetts license plate slogan :  
SPIRIT OF AMERICA - I can think of a couple of blog members who knew this one outright; I had no clue





~!



ACROSS:

1. Game with a Bad Piggies spin-off : ANGRY BIRDS - can you believe I have never played this~?

11. Pi preceder? : OCTO - octopi, more than one octoPUS

15. Modem interface : SERIAL PORT

16. Fizzle : FLOP

17. Westminster attraction : CLOCK TOWER - "Save the clock tower~!"


18. 17-Across display : TIME

19. Plant with tubular flowers : ALOE - always looking for a fresh way to clue this age-old crossword answer

20. Inside job : DECOR

22. "Willy and the Poor Boys" band, familiarly : CCR - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Down On The Corner

23. Poe title stowaway : PYM

24. Grain beard : AWN - could not remember this; the "W" was my second-to-last fill

26. Type of sandwich? : KNUCKLE

28. 2009 Emmy co-winner for Outstanding Talk Show Host : BEHAR - not ELLEN or OPRAH

30. Try to get : GRAB AT

31. Gateway Arch architect : SAARINEN - had it, spelled it correctly, took it out; I should trust my architectural instincts

34. Puff : PANT

38. Neophyte : TYRO

39. Calm : SERENITY - my mantra -


40. Key of Grieg's Piano Concerto : A MINOR - as always, start with - M - - OR, and go from there

43. Sturdy carts : DRAYS

44. Cork's province : MUNSTER - mostly perps, and the "U" was a WAG

46. Menu term : A LA

47. Consumer protection org. : BBB - Better Business Bureau

50. Calif. setting : PST

51. Described in letters : SPELT - Massachusetts; how do you spell it~?   " I - T "

53. Wells creation : ELOI - H.G., the author, and one the Time Machine races

54. Play group : TEAM - oh, OK.  I was thinking "play" as in actors on stage; ergo, troupe was not going to work

56. Cell warning : EMAIL ALERT - was not sure on the first pass if this was "cellular" or cell like those found in prison

59. Arctic fliers : AUKS - huh, I filled this in and forgot about it

60. Like some protests : NON-VIOLENT - I could have sworn we just had this clue/answer

61. Marvel Comics superheroes : X-MEN

62. "Through the Looking-Glass" brother : TWEEDLE DEE - I'm sure you're familiar with his twin, Tweedledum

DOWN:
1. Recording acronym : ASCAP

2. "M.O." rapper : NELLY - a WAG off the "N"

3. Stable employee : GROOM - women would like their GROOM to be STABLE, I would think

4. 2003 College World Series winner : RICE - all perps

5. Jaw : YAK

6. Short order? : BLT - Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato sa'mich order

7. Apple products : iPOD NANOS - did you hear that Apple is now coming out with sound-proof drywall panels~?  It's called "iRock"

8. 1930s-'40s pitcher "Schoolboy" __ : ROWE - again, all perps

9. Worthless trash : DRECK

10. Solid : STRONG - I pondered STURDY, but that appears at 43a.

11. "... the apparel __ proclaims the man": "Hamlet" : OFT

12. Provocative and frequently misleading link : CLICKBAIT - we had this last month

13. "The Sum of All Fears" author : TOM CLANCY - I knew this one, so it made me change my " - - - STATE" pre-answer for 35a.

14. Victor Herbert work : OPERETTA - if Mr. Silk says so.  Again, mostly perps

21. Influential sci-fi drama : R.U.R.- which added "robot" to the English language

24. Atmosphere: Pref. : AERI

25. Scintilla : WHIT - not IOTA

27. Warm-weather pants : CAPRIs

28. Industrial bigwigs : BARONS

29. Put another quarter in, as a parking meter : RE-FED

31. "Trust No One" Washington attraction : SPY MUSEUM - The X-Files; I own the DVD set

32. Internal combustion engine system : AIR INTAKE - I have to remove the air intake plenum on my Dodge Stratus in order to change out three of my six spark plugs.  I had a frozen brake caliper, and this week I finally wore off the pad and got down to raw metal, so I changed it today, along with the pads and rotor.  I figure I better do the other side before I grind those pads down to raw steel, too

33. Tale : NARRATIVE

35. 1765 levy repealed in 1766 : STAMP TAX

36. Board part : MEAL - as in Room & Board

37. New Age superstar : ENYA - new age~? Four letters~? = ENYA

41. Causes of "60 Minutes" delays, briefly : OTs - my mother hates it when Sunday football throws the TV sked off

42. Feel sorry for : REPENT

45. Do more lawn work : REMOW

47. Run : BLEED - ah, that "RUN".  My dictionary has 15 (subdivided) definitions of the verb run, 15 for the verb transitive, and 12 for the noun; 11a is this kind;


48. Supported : BORNE

49. Polite word, in Potsdam : BITTE - "Thanks", if I'm not mistaken

52. Pool division : LANE

53. Women's issue : ELLE - magazine issue

55. ISP choice : MSN - and a genuine clecho; 58. ISP choice : AOL

57. Top : LID - CAP~? HAT~? decisions, decisions....

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment