Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday, Sep8th,2012, Barry C. Silk

Theme: None

Words: 68

Blocks: 38

   So it's a Silkie Saturday serving~!  Psyched myself for such a puzzle, and was rewarded with a great looking spiral of four asymmetrical "pinwheel pluses" grid.  Destroyed two of the corners, but the other two destroyed me.  Proper names/titles/ foreign words were the culprits, but it was worth the totally DF grouping of the longest entries:

35A. Model first appearing in 1954 : PLAYBOY PLAYMATE - I still have a box floating around somewhere with the Vanna White issue in it; I really did read the articles....one for some of the ladies - I know C.C. will enjoy

6D. It involves the study of cleavage : MINERALOGY - oh, he means the science of rock fractures, of course....not the "other" cleavage found in the grid-spanner above....

27. Physiologist who won a 1904 Nobel Prize : IVAN PAVLOV - Some interesting stuff I did NOT know about his work; more to be found here; all I know is, mention pictures of semi-naked ladies, and I start to drool....

Onward, Ornery Orthorunicans~!

ACROSS:

1. Basketball center, at times : PIVOT MAN - so not interested in basketball; TIP OFF GUY did not fit

9. Navigates : STEERS

15. How beef tips may be served : OVER RICE

16. Touchdown locale : TARMAC - got it first time; no football confusion for me

17. Not brush off : LISTEN TO

18. More work : UTOPIA - ah, the author Sir Thomas More - I put in HARDER; hey, it means "more" work, right?

19. "You betcha!" : YEP - not YES

20. Deposit site : VEIN - for those "minerals" in 6D; not MINE or BANK

21. Give it up : DESIST - not ACCEDE

22. 32-Down, e.g. : PDA - Personal Data Assistant; 32D. Organizer introduced in 1996 : PALM PILOT - smart phone precursor - image

23. Journalist Kupcinet : IRV - semi-clecho with 27A

24. Mus. direction often followed by "a tempo" : RIT

25. Bother : AIL

27. Santa Ana neighbor : IRVINE - map

30. 9, in many cases: Abbr. : SEPtember, like the month we're in

33. Type of trombone : ALTO - huh, not JZB'S~?!?!?

34. Mel Blanc, e.g. : VOICER

38. North Sea sight : OIL RIG

39. Times, in poems : E'ENS

40. It was dropped in the '60s : LSD - "Acid"; none for me, thanks - look what it did to Syd Barrett

41. Jazz pianist Lewis : RAMSEY

42. Electrical sound : ZAP - eh, not HUM

43. Kitchen meas. : TSP - teaspoon

44. German article : DAS - not DER

46. Member of the fam : SIB - Take your pic; BRO, SIS, MOM, POP, "unc"....

49. Protect : SHIELD - nailed it

53. Busy home : HIVE - Busy as a bee ~!!!

54. Completely : ALL

55. Border guard? : COLLIE - didn't fool me here, either

56. Volunteer : ENLISTEE

58. Roused : AWOKEN

59. Some English students : ETONIANS - dah~!!  I kept thinking this was about foreign folk who are learning a language here in the US of A....nope - English students that might attend Eton college - like James Bond ~!  See this in crosswords all the time, but I have never actually seen the 'campus', so to speak

60. Makeup of a sort : RE-TEST - Did you ever party so hard you missed an exam, and had to take the "makeup"~???

61. 1967 Nancy Sinatra hit : LOVE EYES - totally did me in - before my time, but I am sure we have plenty of people who will link to this.  All I could get was LOVE - - ES

DOWN:

1. Medusa relative : POLYP - learning moment for me - the WIki

2. __ halls: academic symbol : IVIED - hence the "Ivy League" schools; here's a list   Hey - I went to Cornell; got drunk there on a road trip....

3. Piaggio transport : VESPA - I thought this was an Italian town; check this model out ~!!!

4. Scrap : ORT

5. Historic Umbria town : TREVI - tourism info

7. What's going on : ACTIVITY - great clue/ans

8. Chemical discovery of 1898 : NEON - didn't think it was IRON; that's been around since, well, the Iron Age

9. Wall support : STUD - Here's a stud with a stud

10. Westminster gallery : TATE

11. Son of Aphrodite : EROS

12. Not theoretical : EMPIRICAL

13. Movie snack : RAISINETS - I don't like to eat in the theater, and I don't much care for people who chew like cows around me, too....

14. Disorganized : SCATTERED

26. Ruy __: chess opening : LOPEZ - here it is....did you get all that?  OK, try #2


28. Bean and others : ROYS - this guy

29. Energy : VIM

30. It's usually a two-seater : SPORTS CAR - my new favorite



31. 2004 National Inventors Hall of Fame inductee : ELIAS HOWE - Got it with very few perps - always good to see full names in grids

33. Nichols title hero of the '20s : ABIE

36. Sentence units: Abbr. : YRS - Years - Prison sentence, that is

37. Provide a segue for : LEAD INTO

45. Marne outlet : SEINE

46. Thai appetizer : SATAY - looks good~!!!

 

47. Actress Graff : ILENE

48. Sanctify : BLESS

50. Paul's "The Prize" co-star : ELKE

51. More than stretches : LIES

52. Bit of progress : DENT - by the time I reach 52 Down, I have made a pretty big dent in the blog

53. Scoundrel : HEEL

57. "__ liebt dich": German version of a Beatles hit : SIE - I don't know German, so this got me - but I recognize it now ~!!!

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment