Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday, August 13th, Barry Silk

Theme: None

Words: 70

Blocks: 31

Saturday Silk - Good day to you all, and a Barry Silk puzzle that (for me) was solvable with a lot of letters filling in via the "hunt and peck" method....

ACROSS:

1. Way to measure brightness : IQ TESTING - Since I swapped to the DOWN clues and had ISLE, the "I" made me think INCANDESCE....



10. Group whose name contains a deliberate misspelling inspired by the Beatles, whom they ardently admired : BYRDS - I know them for their two cover tunes, Turn!Turn!Turn! and Tambourine Man

15. Pressing need : STEAM IRON - I figured IRON was in there somewhere

16. Web search option : YAHOO

17. Augustine St. Clare's daughter, in an 1852 novel : LITTLE EVA - From Uncle Tom's Cabin, not the "Loco-motion" singer that came 100 years later

18. Immune system component : T-CELL

19. Grand-scale poetry : EPOS - Def: a number of poems that treat and epic theme, but are not formally united

20. Largest living toothed animal : SPERM WHALE - didn't get fooled by the "tooth" thing

22. Strategic math game : NIM - we just had this Thursday, with matchsticks and muffins

24. Nixon attorney general Richardson : ELLIOT - the guy in the middle

25. __ asada : CARNE - thank you, Taco Bell....

27. Black-and-tan tans : ALES

28. Tuber with eyes : SPUD

32. Schedule : SLATE

33. Tot's tea party guest : TEDDY & 13. Tot's tea party guest : DOLL - I did not have a "little sister", so I did not see a setting like this

35. Like Brahms's Piano Trio No. 1 : IN B - I like this key; the half-step below "C" makes for some interesting bits

36. Some reds : PINOTS

38. "Hubba hubba!" : OO-LA-LA

40. Fielder's fig. : AVG - Average, more on this from C.C.?

41. Render speechless : SHOCK

45. Thinker Diderot : DENIS - What's your profession?  I am a "thinker" - actually, in the Personality Types Enneagram, I AM a Type Five "thinker"

46. Aid criterion : NEED - As in financial AID for college, e.g.

48. "My Country" author : EBAN - this man

49. Cybermemo : E-NOTE - meh

50. "Swan Lake" princess : ODETTE

52. Abbr. for dumbbells : LBs

53. Windows icon : MY COMPUTER - I was going to cheat, since I have my desktop set up with the icons visible to the left - but I renamed "MY COMPUTER" to Richie's Computer...go figure

57. "__ girl!" : ATTA - anyone else start with "IT'S A" ?

60. Slide presentation : AMEBA - had _ _ EB_, so I figured this was missing the usual "O" from Amoeba; I was thinking pics, pix, fotos, etc.

61. Place for pitchers? : SALES ROOM - cute, but what really is a sales 'room'?

63. Mormon Tabernacle feature : CHOIR - Pipe Organ didn't fit....

64. Conductor in a circuit : ELECTRODE

65. Goalie Dominik who won the Vezina Trophy six times : HASEK - ~TA-DA~!!! A hockey clue/answer that's not ORR ~!!!  Yea~!  BONUS - it's a Goalie, to boot~!

66. He came out of retirement to play Winston Churchill in "Inglorious Basterds" : ROD TAYLOR - Loved Quentin's remake; here's Rod

DOWN:

1. Archipelago part : ISLE

2. Stick in a medicine cabinet : Q-TIP - I was thinking "DEOdorant", but it wasn't working.  Q-Tip, a brand name that has become synonymous with the product, even if it's 'generic'; also Band-Aid (bandage) and Kleenex (tissue), although in my home growing up, we didn't say "Kleenex" - can you think of others?

3. Mountains containing the Cathedral Group : TETON RANGE - map

4. Erodes : EATS INTO - had EATS AWAY to start

5. T selection : SML - T-shirt size; Sml, Med, Lge, XXL

6. Pairs of even numbers? : TIES - Like hockey games at 1 - 1

7. "Once more ..." : I REPEAT - made me think of this book, since about two years ago, I started on my pilot's license journey, and found the whole communications part of the challenge to be more daunting than the flying; as a private pilot, you are ALWAYS talking to someone - at least here on LI, with 3 major airports surrounding NYC

8. It's longer than a Kurzgeschichte (short story) : NOVELLE - I thought it was Novella, but who's checking....

9. Knotted up : GNARLED - Like a tree, like this

10. How one must sometimes win : BY TWO - Net games, like tennis, badminton, and volleyball - I was supposed to play tomorrow, but we're getting washed out by the rain Husker Gary sent my way....

11. Blue blood vessels? : YACHTS - oh, such a knee slapper.  Barring some invention or song I write that becomes a super-hit, I don't expect to EVER own a "yacht"

12. Three-toed bird : RHEA



14. Seafood selection : SOLE

21. Bungle : MIS-DO - I had _ _ SD _, so what else could it be?  meh, too

23. Sits : MEETS

25. Political junkies watch it : C SPAN - that channel dedicated to our Congress

26. Breathing : ALIVE - Made me think of this song

29. Keyboardist's support : PIANO STOOL - I had Piano STAND at first, which is OK for a keyboard, but for a piano...?

30. Off : UNLIT - a mini-theme with brightness, and

31. Early statistical software : DBASE

34. High air? : YODEL - this one does not fool me anymore

37. They may be counted : SHEEP - the Serta guys

39. Singer with the 1965 hit "1-2-3" : LEN BARRY - never heard of him, or the song; does sound familiar - did it end up in a commercial?

42. Not as quick on the uptake : OBTUSER - With O_ _ _ ER, again, what else?

43. Beefy hybrid : CATTALO - More from Wiki; I like Buffalo burgers, never had Bison

44. Used a prayer rug : KNEELED - not KNELT

47. __ Brothers, who sang "Black Water" : DOOBIE - Love the "a cappella" section; the problem with "Classic Rock" FM radio is that they are forced to play ONLY one or two songs from a band/group - did you know Ozzy Osbourne wrote more than just "Crazy Train"?

51. 100 pfennigs, briefly : DMARK German money, deutsche

53. Speed-of-sound name : MACH - as a pilot I NEVER went this fast

54. Jewish youth org. : YMHA - Young Men's HEBREW Association

55. Corp. bigwigs : CEOs

56. A sq. is one : RECTangle

58. List heading : TO DO - my new apartment TO DO list runs into pages....

59. NAFTA part: Abbr. : AMERican - North American Free Trade Agreement

62. Place to get a tkt. : STAtion - Trains; I had MTA at first, knew it couldn't be right, but for Long Island and NYC, the Metro Transit Authority sells tickets


Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment