Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday, Aug 20th, Doug Peterson

Theme: None


Words: 72


Blocks: 30


Hello, gang ~!   I was fooled into thinking this was a "walk in the park" but I simply could not WAG my way through the NE corner, despite having a pretty good foot-hold.  I blogged Doug's last offering just over a month ago, and did well on that one - I must have made him mad....

Onward ~!

ACROSS:

1. They're dirty pool : CHEAP SHOTS - reminds me of this Addams Family scene

11. WNBA positions : CTRs - not fooled by the "W", but still a WAG, since basketball is not my thing

15. Muse of sacred music : POLYHYMNIA - I got it, even with "HY_N" to start; a little background

16. Brest milk : LAIT - LOTS of great, subtle DF cluing today, a play on breast - or is it just me?

17. Does a bit of informal polling : ASKS AROUND

18. Paquin of "True Blood" : ANNA - so not into the latest Vampire thing - I was happy with "Underworld" and Kate Beckinsale

19. Note : SEE

20. Puzzle (out) : SUSS - Clued exclusively for us "Corner" types


21. Model born Lesley Hornby : TWIGGY - Did not know this; I know of her, but not part of my world

23. Equinox mo. : SEPtember - closing in on hockey season ~!

24. Accepted : NORMAL

25. "GoodFellas" Oscar winner : PESCI - this one was a real gimme; I was just watching "My Cousin Vinny" and they mentioned this in the commercial break

28. Reckon, in the boonies : SPOSE - as in "I s'pose y'all city folk?"

30. OR abbr. : NEG - wha?  I thought it was EKG; I mean, I get it, but does the Operating Room doc say "NEG"?  And blood (type) isn't ONLY in the OR....meh

32. One who's done stretches? : EX-CON - nailed it

33. Texas Rangers CEO : NOLAN RYAN - did not know this, knew him only as a pitcher

35. Leap on blades : AXEL

36. Story writer/poet Grace who studied with Auden : PALEY - her

37. Classic Leontyne Price role : AIDA - here

38. Honey Ryder and Xenia Onatopp, e.g. : BOND GIRLS - "Bond, James Bond" - my top three Bond Girls; (1) - (2) - (3) - what's yours?  Sorry ladies....

40. Out of line : ASKEW

41. Inseparable : ONE

42. Some rectangular bars : OLEOS - a little ruse here, oleo the fake butter bar in the fridge


43. Feinting spells? : SPARS - meh, I get it, but I think of feinting as part of fencing

44. Ore.'s highest point : Mt. HOOD

46. Broker's advice : BUY - I use Scottrade

47. Any regular on "The View" : CO-HOST - too much estrogen for me

48. Numbers for closers : ERAs - Earned Run Average, a number for Nolan

50. Cone head? : SNO - oh, very good - I was not on this wavelength to start

53. __ Bacon: "East of Eden" character : ABRA

54. Got at : INSINUATED

57. Structure on piles : PIER

58. "When pigs fly!" : NOT ON A DARE

59. More than asked : PLED

60. Safari sights : GRASSLANDS - ah - not Gorillllas, Gazelllles, Giraffffes,...


DOWN:


1. They're no. experts : CPAs - Certified Public Accountants - I caught the "." after "no"

2. It may wind up around the house : HOSE - we have two hose bibs, so we do not have to wrap the house, but I have seen this

3. Paul's "The Prize" co-star : ELKE - Paul Newman, Elke Sommer in this movie

4. Bard's interjections : AYs

5. Introduce by degrees : PHASE IN

6. Stack sweetener : SYRUP - pancake stack

7. GP gps. : HMOs

8. Weight : ONUS

9. Can across the pond : TIN - a tin of tobacco, in England and other places on the other side of the Atlantic, affectionately known as the "pond"

10. "I'm afraid the news is not good ..." : SAD TO SAY

11. One may be filed : CLAIM

12. It merged with Zanzibar in 1964 : TANGANYIKA - man, I thought I knew this, but it totally eluded me; map - the Lake is now on the left, Zanzibar to the right

13. Gangbuster's target : RINGLEADER - Rum-runner, etc., but I couldn't "suss" it out

14. Inn time : STAY - Argh~! - Trying too hard on this one

22. Singer of complex songs : WREN - not a DIVA

23. Baste : SCOLD - completely filled in via Perps - otherwise, I might have screwed this one up

24. Phrase of emphasis : NO LESS

25. R&B singer Bryson : PEABO

26. Dow 30 company : EXXON-MOBIL

27. When, in Act Two of "Macbeth," the Porter knocks at the gate : SCENE THREE

28. Caught : SNARED

29. Taquería meat : POLLO - Chicken

31. Irritates, with "at" : GNAWS

34. Far from mellifluous : RASPY - Sassy, no, Rusty, no, Risky, no....

36. At the helm of : PILOTING

39. Nursery sounds : GOOs

40. Like much business? : AS USUAL - Men at Work and a little ditty for you

45. Put away : HOARD

46. Wedding announcement : BANNS - new one for me; and intended notice of marriage

47. Stupefyin' Jones creator : CAPP - Al Capp, Li'l Abner - Wiki

48. First-year Spanish verb : ESTA

49. Mexican waterways : RIOs

50. Persian for "place of" : STAN

51. One needing social work? : NERD

52. Confucius's "Book of __" : ODES

55. Bergen's home: Abbr. : NORway - Second largest city

56. Org. working on bridges : ADA - The fake teeth bridges of the American Dental Association - got it


Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment