Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Wednesday, January 24th, 2024, Michael Schlossberg

 FLAME ON~!

A Marvel Comics theme with the long(ish) Across fills referring to the "super-powers" of the four members of the reveal "Fantastic" group - here's the Wiki.  I must apologize in advance to everyone here at the blog who is a massive comic book and/or Marvel / DC Comics movies fan - it's just not my "THING" (get it~?)  I grew up with Star Wars, and those movies, toys & action figures.  I did actually see the Fantastic Four movie released in 2005 , but the "THING" I don't much care for is the never-ending "remakes" and rebranding of comic book superheroes - including Batman, Iron Man, Spiderman, etc. - Fantastic Four came out again in 2015 ( and for the truly hard-core, there was a 1994 movie as well ).  The "THING" is, part of the reason for my apathy - and this is a consequence of Star Wars - is that the movies are SO overdone with CGI that it all just a blur to me....

19. Economic metaphor coined by Adam Smith: INVISIBLE HAND - Sue Storm-Richards, who can turn invisible and generate force fields

28. Gawk: RUBBERNECK - Reed Richards, able to 'stretch' to incredible proportions

38. Hurry, with "it": HOTFOOT - Johnny Storm, who has the ability to become the "Human Torch"

46. Lowest of lows: ROCK BOTTOM - Ben Grimm, with skin of stone

54. Superhero team with the physical features of 19-, 28-, 38-, and 46-Across: FANTASTIC FOUR



And Aflame We Go~!


ACROSS:

1. Halts: CEASES

7. Loops in via email: CCs - a subtle shout-out to our blog creator - as to our "challenge", I had my first personal training session last Friday, and another on Sunday - ooof....

10. Muslim cleric: IMAM

14. "Dear Prudence" offering: ADVICE

15. Circle of life?: TREE RING


17. __ Marcus: NEIMAN

18. New word for something old: RETRONYM - Spell-check doesn't like it, but it makes sense to me

21. Crow's-nest call: "AHOY~!" - I had "LAND" to start; crossing LDS at 20D. - Bzzzt~!

22. Tolkien villains: ORCS - another series of movies I was not really interested in, until I read The Lord of the Rings - which, surprisingly, I only recently picked up, back in 2022; I did like the book, so I ended up watching the movies.

25. Cryptographer Turing: ALAN - if you get the chance, read Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stevenson, a great story beginning before WWII and running through the 1990s; it's a well-developed narrative based on secret codes and a little bit about the NFT coins of the stock market today

33. Cantina dip: SALSA - Star Wars had a cantina


35. Hence: ERGO - THUS fit too, but didn't gibe

36. "Leave the World Behind" actor Mahershala: ALI - filled via perps; never read the clue until I wrote the blog

37. Very softly, in music: ppp - meh.  Technically correct, but it's an abbreviation for one step past pianissimo, 'very quiet' - as opposed to fff, forte, 'loud' - but there's no 'abbr.' in the clue; filled via perps anyway...


41. Hydroelectric facility: DAM

42. Ore-__ Tater Tots: IDA

43. Years during Caesar's reign: ANNI

44. One of the Stooges: SHEMP

50. Some Dada works: ARPS - learned from doing crosswords; Jean Arp, artist of the Dada movement

51. "Manhattan Beach" novelist Jennifer: EGAN - no clue, filled via perps

52. Ranch newborn: FOAL

62. Hawaiian treat similar to a snow cone: SHAVE ICE

64. Mellow: SEDATE

65. "Until we meet again": "FAREWELL"


Welcome To My Morning (Farewell Andromeda)

66. Beyond thrilled: ELATED

67. Pieces de resistance?: OHMS - har-har

68. "Levitating" singer __ Lipa: DUA - a recent addition to crosswords, from my perspective - my cable provider offers VEVO music video channels, and I managed to watch a whole clip from her - just not my "THING"

69. States definitively: SAYS SO -  "sand" being a problem for the Fantastic Four and Darth Vader - the article "says so"

DOWN:

1. "Pretty please?": "CAN I~?"

2. Genesis paradise: EDEN

3. Tel __, Israel: AVIV - crossword staple

4. Gorillas, e.g.: SIMIANS

5. Net funds: eCASH - as in interNET

6. Ranking: SENIOR

7. Corner PC key: CTRL

8. One of Canada's First Nations: CREE

9. "An American Pickle" star Rogen: SETH - about the only proper name I did know

10. Like some transfers: IRON-ON

11. Telepath: MIND READER - how 'bout a Blue Öyster Cult interlude~? - the "THING" is, it's got a bit of a 'superhero' flair to it....

FLAMING Telepaths

12. Whichever: ANY

13. James Bond film studio: MGM - which bought out the original studio, United Artists - but "UA" was not long enough.  The story of two Bonds in one year

16. Big Band __: ERA

20. Mormon sch.: BYU - Dah~!  Brigham Young University.  For some reason, I went with Latter Day Saints

23. Letter-shaped vise: C-CLAMP - I like answers like this, with the opening "C-C" ( shout out ) as sort of misleading; I thought I had something wrong

24. Pinches pennies: SKIMP

25. Seek (to): ASPIRE - I do not "ASPIRE" to be in the spotlight, but the "THING" is, I managed to get my picture in the Washington National Cathedral newsletter; that's me in the lead with a chest that we just removed from the gallery division of the pipe organ

26. Cuddly companion: LAPDOG

27. Source of some wool: ALPACA FARM

29. Suit: BEFIT - ah, the verb

30. "Dude!": "BRO~!"

31. Self-importance: EGO

32. Decomposes: ROTS

34. Literary captain obsessed with a whale: AHAB - believe it or not, I was not obligated to read this book/novel in high school, but I did actually read it by choice about 5 years ago; a bit of a slog; the "THING" is, much of the book came across more like a whale encyclopedia

39. Artist Yoko: ONO

40. Minecraft explosive: TNT

45. Part-timer's work period, perhaps: HALF-DAY - ah, but which half~?

47. Rapscallions: KNAVES

48. Many times, poetically: OFT

49. Felipe Alou's outfielder son: MOISES - learned by doing crosswords

53. Amtrak express: ACELA - I pondered a visit to my good buddy down in Georgia by taking a sleeper bunk on Amtrak to get there - but round trip was somewhere around $1400; not likely, since a Southwest flight is about $250, and about 4hours, not 24hours.  The "THING" is, I did take the "Empire Builder" from NYC all the way to Seattle back in 2003, and it was a great trip.

55. State-of-the-art: NEW

56. Deadlocked: TIED

57. Women's Rights Project org.: ACLU

58. Actress Ward: SELA - I know her from the movie "The Fugitive", and TV's "House, M.D."


59. Feedbag grains: OATS

60. Versatile vehicles, for short: UTES - crossword staple

61. Start afresh: REDO

62. Bay Area airport letters: SFO - I went looking for an explanation for the "O" at the end, but no revelations there; I did, however, see that a plane crashed on my birthday in 1937 - the Wiki

63. "As if!": "HAH~!"

Splynter


24 Jan 24



No comments:

Post a Comment