Saturday, May 6, 2017

Saturday, May 6th, 2017, Alan Olschwang

Theme: None

Words: 72 (V,W,Z)

Blocks: 28

The last time we saw a Saturday puzzle from Alan was January of last year - I believe that I have cringed every time I've seen his name as the constructor, and today was no different.  However, I did manage to get through most of the puzzle pretty smoothly - a few answers in my wheelhouse got me some traction, and it was only in the NW corner that I got stumped.  Triple 10x6 corners one way, triple 8's the other, and one spanner;

36. 1924 novel set during the British Raj : A PASSAGE TO INDIA - and a movie in 1984

15. Controlled : RODE HERD ON - I did not get my "ta-DA~!" because I had rode HARD on - which made sense; I have never heard the HERD version - but that's the straight up definition

13. Jonquil and daffodil : NARCISSI - learning moment; the Wiki

65. It may be spontaneous : COMBUSTION


38. Brazen : ARROGANT

"May the Fourth be with you" is followed 
by the less-popular "May the Sith"



ACROSS:

1. Without delay : THIS SECOND

11. Eleanor Roosevelt's real first name : ANNA

16. 1967 self-titled folk album : JOAN - pondered this or BAEZ

17. Uncomplicated : ELEMENTARY - I just finished building a countertop which I made using 5/4 stock and my new biscuit joiner - now I feel like tackling something a little more complicated, like a chess set ( which I'd need a lathe for ) and something cool, like this;


18. Abruzzi town in a Longfellow poem : ATRI - dah~! Not ASTI

19. British prime minister during two millennia : BLAIR - my 1d. made me change this

20. Hot skillet sound : SSSsss

21. Suits : EXECS

22. Leaves alone : LETS BE

24. Somme time : ÉTÉ - Frawnche - been a while

26. Somme co. : CIE - and thus, more Frawnche

27. What may be seen before long : ERE

28. It, in Italy : ESSA

31. Supper, say : REPAST

33. "Way to go!" : "ATTA BOY~!"

35. Language that gave us "galore" : ERSE 

legs galore

40. Bit of mischief : LARK

41. Perfectly : TO A TURN

42. Attack from above : STRAFE

44. Con __: briskly, on scores : MOTO

45. Diner owner __ Lee on "2 Broke Girls" : HAN - a different "Han"

48. Metal precioso : ORO

49. Surfing need, briefly : ISP - web surfing, with an Internet Service Provider

51. Even : SQUARE

53. Proper : RIGHT

55. Chocolate __ : LAB - Dah~! Not BAR

58. Commercial word after "open," perhaps : UNTIL

59. Beneficial berry : ACAI

60. Occurred : CAME TO PASS

62. Cloud __ : NINE - I was curious about the origin

63. Beneath : INFERIOR TO

64. Challenge for srs. : SATs

DOWN:

1. Amp setting : TREBLE - ah, not ELEVEN

2. Call out : HOLLER

3. Imagine : IDEATE

4. Big Macks : SEMIs

5. Palate cleansers : SHERBETS

6. Yeats' yet : E'EN - poetic 'even'

7. Flat-screen predecessors : CRTs - went with LCDs, but was not convinced

8. Harem rooms : ODAs - been a long time since I've seen this in a crossword

9. Ancient mariners : NORSE

10. Letters after Sen. Schumer's name : D, NY - democrat for New York

11. Bon Ami competitor : AJAX

12. Greeting carrier : NOTE CARD

14. Licorice-flavored brew : ANISE TEA - got it from doing crosswords

21. Extra-wide spec : EEE

23. Willing subjects? : ESTATES - wasn't fooled, but my first thought, OFFSPRING, didn't fit

25. Team builders : TRYOUTS - good clue

29. Pudding starch : SAGO - tried TARO, and that's 100% 50% correct

30. Crossing the keel : ABEAM

32. One of the Ivies : PENN -oops, not YALE

33. Silly question starter? : ASK A....

34. Anne Frank's father : OTTO - shout-out~!

36. They were in it but didn't win it : ALSO RANS

37. Crime author Cornwell : PATRICIA - filled via perps

39. Mohawk's confederacy : IROQUOIS - spelled it wrong; in the DOWN, it was hard to see

43. One may be thrown in anger : FIT

45. 1962 John Wayne film set in Africa : HATARI - yeah, not "sAfARI" - never seen a John Wayne movie - before my time

46. Blueblood, informally : ARISTOcrat

47. Wrestling hold : NELSON

50. Pizza Hut's Texas headquarters : PLANO

52. Prepare for a transplant : UNPOT - we had REpot last week

54. Gets moving : HIES

56. Band letters : AM/FM

57. "Peaky Blinders" network, with "the" : BEEB - The BBC

60. Mil. VIP : CIC - we have a new Commander In Chief

61. It replaced "Court" in a TV channel name : TRU

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment