Saturday, August 27, 2016

Saturday, Aug 27th, 2016, Pawel Fludzinski

Theme: None

Words: 70 (missing F,J,Q,V,X)

Blocks: 28

  Mr. Fludzinski returns with another Saturday LA Times grid, a little over a month since his last construction.  I re-read that blog, and had a repeat solving experience - switching between across and down.  In fact, I was so eager to switch back to across from the down that I never actually read the last two 'Down' clues; when it came to the write up, I didn't recognize the entries at all....Relatively smooth solve, under my personal time, with the proper names were helped along by the perps.  Triple and almost-triple 10-letter corners, plus four 8-letter answers on the inside;

 1. Parent of 66-Across : BABY BOOMER - ugh, a circumreferential clue to start; it was the second half that got me the answer here

66. Child of 1-Across : MILLENNIAL

26. Ramshackle : DECREPIT - the image this word conjures up


48. Iconic Ansel Adams photograph shot in Hernandez, New Mexico : MOONRISE

moONWARD~>!

ACROSS:

11. Jobs creation : IMAC - I tried iPod; not fooled by the reference to Steve Jobs

15. As it happens : IN REAL TIME

16. It can tide you over : NOSH

17. Exercise regimen : DAILY DOZEN

18. Ending to avoid? : ANCE - avoidance

19. Commemorative pillar : STELA - pondered TOTEM, but that was in last week's puzzle - and then it appeared here anyway @ 29d.  I did however, fill in STELE at first

20. Accords : ENTENTES - oops, I had DEtentes at first

22. Piccadilly Circus statue : EROS - dredged this one up from the depths of my crossword solving brain

25. Anesthetizes : DEADENS

30. Refuse : DROSS

31. Link letters : URL - ah.  I tried PGA for golf links

32. Thin feathered flier : ARROW - at first I thought we were looking for some sort of bird; got it after some thought


34. Pop music sleepyhead : SUSIE - I still have no clue what this refers to; I found a Susie Sleepyhead teddy bear....the second "S" was the only non-crossing unfilled

36. Youngest player to join the 600-HR club : A-ROD

38. Snowmen? : YETIs

40. Trade staple : TOOL - I am looking into refrigeration classes this coming winter/spring, as it's the only industry area I am unfamiliar with at the restaurants.  There are some specific tools for this trade, too, and I don't own them - yet

41. Sore __ : LOSER - had it, put it in, took it out because of 26d.

43. Teeth in Torino : DENTI

45. ICU VIPs : RNs

46. Transplant, in a way : REPOT

50. Preserves flavor : APRICOT - Dah~!  preserves the noun, not the verb

52. Part of a Simon & Garfunkel quartet? : SAGE - clever; the others being parsley, rosemary and thyme

53. Railroad worker : TRACKMAN

55. Pass a second time : RELAP

59. Custom : WONT - I tried NORM

60. Olympics event since 2000 : TRAMPOLINE

63. Seraph, to Sylvie : ANGE

64. "The Decay of Lying" author : OSCAR WILDE

65. Swamp thing : REED - not this Swamp Thing

DOWN:

1. Contractors' proposals : BIDS - part of my business also, and the hardest for me - getting the right number for both myself and the client/customer

2. Body lang. : ANATomy - I pondered ASL, American Sign Language, but it didn't jibe - or fit

3. French wheel : BRIE - ah.  Roue is Frawnche for wheel; cheesy reference....


4. See 6-Down : YELLER - paired with; 6. With 4-Down, Fred Gipson book that won a 1957 Newbery Honor : OLD

5. Region including Napa : BAY AREA

7. Tribe that met with Lewis and Clark in 1804 : OTO

8. 1987 Masters champ Larry : MIZE

9. Polish, in a way : EMEND

10. Let : RENTED

11. "It was a very brief visit" : IN AND OUT

12. Education innovator : MONTESSORI - big help in the NE - my friend from Ohio was once a participant of this system

13. Climbs : ASCENSIONS - makes me think of a Blue Öyster Cult song

lyric @ 0:24

14. Mating game : CHESS - D'oh~! couldn't think of any "dating game"....

oh, this kind of mate

21. Canal zones : EARS - clever

23. Country music venue : OPRY

24. Brought into being : SIRED

26. Part of DINK : DUAL - I was told it was "Double Income, No Kids", which meant the answer was "KIDS"; so that messed me up for a long time

27. Likely to be off : ERROR PRONE

28. A short distance : CLOSE RANGE

29. Venerated symbol : TOTEM - here it is again~!

33. Skid row figures : WINOS - I never made it to "Skid Row"....but damn close

35. Ultimatum end : ELSE - "or else~!!!"

37. Portrayed : DEPICTED

39. Old portico : STOA - another one I dredged up

42. __ bottom : ROCK

44. Like some hairs : INGROWN

47. Drum kit component : TOM-TOM - Pawel likes his drums - he had a snare drum reference in the last Sat puzzle


49. Catch at the shore : REEL IN - wasn't sure about this answer; you would still reel in from a boat, right~?

50. Openly hostile : AT WAR

51. Low bones : TARSI

54. Substance in the sea's H2O : NaCL

56. Taylor of "Say Anything..." : LILI - I thought it was LORI, but the last "I" helped - 100% 50% correct

57. Time-half link : AND A - time-and-a-half, which I get after 5hrs at UPS - each day, and I pretty much go over every day during the summer - and now I am on vacation until after Labor Day - yay~!

58. Outer cover : PEEL

61. __ du pays: homesickness : MAL - never even saw this clue....

62. Historic leader? : PRE - nor this one; Pre-historic

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment