Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday, Jun 18th, 2016, Ed Sessa

Theme: None

Words: 68 (missing J,K,Q)

Blocks: 29

 I bounced back from last week's disaster pretty well with Mr. Sessa's latest, even though it did not look promising to start - but I have to admit to one Google in the NE. Again the grid was replete with proper names, but I was pleased with myself for getting some of the longer fill right off, and that gave me some traction in the other corners - big chunky corners of 8x5s and nearly 9x6s, and two 9s and two 10s in the Down as well.  The two "B" climbers;

9. Britain's Yeoman Warders, familiarly : BEEF EATERS - I knew the term "beef eaters", but not the 'proper' name for the now ceremonial royal guard - the Wiki


 27. Some house-to-garage links : BREEZEWAYS - nailed it

 
(~!)

ACROSS:

1. Alaska's Alaskan Malamute, for one : STATE DOG - It fit, so I went with it

9. Have rounds all around : BAR HOP - The "P" showed via perps early, so I pondered "something - UP"....bzzzt

15. Locks maintenance : HAIRCARE - tresses or transportation for ships~?

16. Tennyson's "lily maid of Astolat" : ELAINE - my one cheat....the Wiki

17. Volcanic glass : OBSIDIAN - nailed it

18. Omitted from a speech? : ELIDED

19. Calms : ALLAYS - I had --LA-S, and was tempted to go with RELAX(e)S - har-har

20. Spells out : DEFINES

22. __ United: English soccer team : LEEDS - my dad was a Manchester United fan

23. Serious order shortage? : MELEE - stared at this too long, then the V-8 can flew; when a riot breaks out, there's little order to be found

24. Ideal: Abbr. : STD

26. Where Andorra is : IBERIA - nailed it, but then SPAIN didn't fit at the true clecho; 36a. Where Andorra is : EUROPE, so I contemplated ESPANA - dah~! Europe is too easy~!

28. __-American : AFRO

29. Picketing displays : PLACARDS


33. Iranian city known for its carpets : TABRIZ - OK, so I went with PERSIA, which IS  Iran, I know....

35. Rest : REPOSE

37. Ascribe (to) : IMPUTE - one of a few new words for me today

38. Few are chosen : SURNAMES - ah.  Clever.

40. Hamlet : DORP - went down the four-letter list; TOWN, BURG, BURB - but this one is new to me; it's Dutch

41. "Moulin Rouge" (1952) co-star, familiarly : ZSA-ZSA - once I had a "Z"....

43. Storm dir. : ENE - total WAG, considering the combinations, but this one always fits best

44. __-wip : REDDI - I knew that the "ready" part was spelled wrong, but never noticed the "H" was missing from the other half


45. Underhanded undertaking : THEFT

50. Bonus : THROW-IN

52. Southwestern native : PUEBLO - oops, not NAVAJO

53. Hyphenated frozen food brand : ORE-IDA - I like mini-taters

54. Ear-piercing : OVERLOUD - what do you wanna do with your life~?!?!?

I wanna rock

56. Analgesic rub : BENGAY - this was in another Saturday puzzle not too long ago

57. Gave the business : TORE INTO

58. Auto options : SEDANS

59. Blows : EXPLODES - I just watched the "Lego Movie", which was really funny in parts - Batman especially - but the explosions were done with the blocks, too, and I can only imagine the work that went into them - the ocean waves, too

The Kra--gl-e~!
DOWN:

1. Marine hazard : SHOAL - ah.  Not sToRM

2. China setting : TABLE

3. Theater access : AISLE

4. F-A-C, e.g. : TRIAD - musical reference; I got it, but only because I play guitar; leave off the open e string, and you have F-A-C.  I've been toying with this song, which has really great power chords


5. One barely working? : ECDYSIAST - this is new to me, too - according to Dictionary, it's a euphemism for stripper - one "bare"ly working....

6. Place of honor : DAIS - or the pole, if you're part of the previous clue's working class

7. __ pro nobis : ORA - also a learning moment; "pray for us"

8. Pair in many languages : GENDERS - um....

10. "Hyperbole and a Half" blogger Brosh : ALLIE - all perps and a WAG

11. __ check : RAIN

12. Avoids being seen by : HIDES FROM

13. Private sign? : ONE STRIPE


14. __ XING : PED

21. "The Good Wife" crisis manager Gold : ELI - I don't watch the show - IMDb

23. Rx : MEDication(s)

25. Drops off : DOZES

28. Yellow Pokémon species that ultimately evolves to Alakazam : ABRA - total unknown; and the "B" was my last fill

29. Roaring group : PRIDE - Lions, get it~?

30. What "love is like," in a 1960s hit : LEMON TREE - before my time; I can't justify posting it here along with Twisted Sister - so here's a link

31. Take in : APPREHEND - ah, not the ALTER clothing kind

32. No small feat : COUP

34. Bare : AU NATUREL - I think a woman is sexier in clothing


38. Bad news metaphor : SAD NOTE - and on a "Sad Note", the hockey season is over, and unfortunately, the trophies were awarded to the "wrong" players....just one Ranger fan's opinion....

39. Eponymous weapon : UZI

42. Star Wars, initially : SDI - Space Defense Initiative

44. Godzilla ally, at times : RODAN - how I miss those Saturday afternoon matinees


46. Prefix with tropic : HELIO

47. FDR bought the first one in 1941 : E BOND - "war" bonds - the Wiki

48. Champagne holder : FLUTE

49. Kerfuffles : TO-DOS - more MELEE

51. University of Latvia locale : RIGA

52. Lineup member, hopefully : PERPetrator, not the perpendiculars of crossword fame

53. Delivery pros : OBStetrician - I had "OB-" early, so it was not UPS

55. __ populi : VOX

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment