Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday, Apr 11th, 2015, David C. Duncan Dekker

Theme: None

Words: 72 (pangram~!)

Blocks: 27

  I can't believe I finished the whole thing - OK, I looked up two proper names - but I'm claiming victory, considering the clever and vague cluing.  I did not see Mr. Duncan Dekker's name in the blog list, so I have to assume this is his first publication for the LA Times; he maybe a regular for the NYT, but I wouldn't know - I am lucky to have had the time to work last Sunday's crossword in my local paper, Newsday ( BTW, Gail Grabowski).  Anyway, this grid started off very white, with big chunky corners and a staircase of answers up the middle.  Some of the longer fill;

17a. Tiny cylindrical structure : NANOTUBE - I had nanoDUCT, which was not working with my ideas for the crossings


12d. Scaly reproductive organ : PINE CONE - phew~! glad we're not talking about such an organ in the animalia taxonomy


53a. Title I of the Agricultural Act of 1956 : SOIL BANK - The Wiki

31d. Seat of Peru's Constitutional Court : AREQUIPA - Cheat #2 - I punched in "major cities of Peru" and this came up after Lima - and it meshed with my perps
 
 

Adelante~!

ACROSS:

1. Staples Center team : L.A. LAKERS - good start, as I know the LA Kings play there - but not this spring~!!  The Stanley Cup champions are out this year; the NY Rangers take the President's Trophy for the best record in the NHL; usually not a good sign for winning the whole thing

9. Not flat : SLOPED - SHARP was not long enough

15. Minor issue? : AGE LIMIT

16. Brazilian ballroom dance : MAXIXE - new word/dance for me; two "X"s, nice - I got them via the perps

18. Without a key : ATONAL

19. B's 5 and C's 6 : At. NoS - dah - got me this time - I did not think of Atomic Numbers when I read this clue; B = Boron, C = Carbon

20. Home entertainment option : CABLE - I was thinking SONOS


22. Label for the Poison album "Poison'd!" : EMI - WAGed MCA, was 100% wrong

23. Links acronym : IHOP - ah - not a golf links reference, but a sausage links one - International House of Pancakes

24. Crawford of the NBA's Clippers : JAMAL - looked him up; don't know from basketball - makes this clue a "fun sponge"

25. 40% of DX : CCIV - bust out Husker Gary's Roman calculator; 510 * .4 = 204

26. Common doo-wop soloist : SAX - ah, the instrument, not the player

27. Radar screen blip : BOGEY - yeah, PLANE seemed too easy

28. It has a ring to it : PHONE - BA dum tisss~!


29. Shoe attachment? : MAKER - I tried shoeLACES - Bzzzt~!

30. Clubby type : JOINER - dictionary.com says a "clubby" person joins in with members, but not so much outsiders; sounds a bit like me....

31. Works up : AROUSES
 
34. Places to see arrows : QUIVERS
35. Sat for a bit : RESTED - a WAG that lasted

36. Semblance : GUISE

37. Kitchen additions? : ETTES - kitchenETTEs

38. Prepare for winter flight, in a way : DE-ICE

39. Energy Reorg. Act of 1974 creation : NRC - Nuclear Regulatory Commission

42. Pounds : QUID - Oh, I am so disappointed with myself - parents born and raised in England, regular viewer of Top Gear, and I forgot about this definition of pounds - the colloquial name for the currency in Great Britain ( and elsewhere )

43. Elegant : RITZY

44. Krombacher output : BIER - sounded German, WAGed 'beer'

45. Keats' "Sylvan historian" : URN - "Ode on a Grecian" to be exact

46. Farm deliveries : FOALS - I had GRAIN at first - this is the birthing kind of delivery

47. "Taxi" actor : DANZA - Tony, who played Tony

48. "Soon" : IN A FEW

50. "You've got to be kidding me!" : "OH COME ON~!"

52. Debussy's "__ Suite" : PETITE

54. Dug : ADORED

55. Betrays : TWO-TIMES

DOWN:

1. Outdoor sitting areas : LANAIs - Bam~! right off the "L" in 1a.

2. Dame of mystery : AGATHA - Bam~! right off the "A" in 1a.

3. Former heavyweight champ __ Lewis : LENNOX - BAM~!  That's a powerful punch

4. Knock for __ : A LOOP - like, say, being in the ring with Lennox

5. Little beavers : KITS - had kiDs, which slowed me down

6. Cassowary cousin : EMU

7. Trunk structures : RIB CAGES - had it, took it out, put it back in, took it out....do the hokey-pokey....and a semi-clecho with the next;

8. __ trunk : STEAMER - argh~!  I tried STORAGE

9. Insignificant : SMALL

10. How some busy people run : LATE

11. Maker of SteeL kitchen products : OXO - three-letters and kitchen utensils~? Try OXO

13. Free West Coast daily : EXAMINER - pondered a Spanish named paper - but couldn't think of one

14. Gets the job done : DELIVERS

21. Pound sound : BAY - this time, it's the "dog" type of pound

24. Wasn't serious : JOKED

25. Leek relative : CHIVE

27. Sacks of diamonds? : BASES - har-har

28. Presence : POISE

29. Soft : MUTED

30. Risqué : JUICY - minis, yes, Lemonade, fishnets, no - I am strictly pantyhose - but thanks for the images~!


32. Made a comeback? : RETURNED

33. Repeated musical pattern : OSTINATO - the Wiki

34. 1994 film about a scandal : QUIZ SHOW - IMDb

36. Demand to split : "GET LOST" - not D-I-V-O-R-C-E

38. Calendario entry : DIA - I took a Wild-Ass Adivinar

39. Time to flip the sign, perhaps : NINE A.M. - I went with "P.M.", but that was close enough

40. Change in boundaries : RE-ZONE

41. Stimulates, with "up" : CRANKS

43. Like many boats on lakes : ROWED

44. Tale of a whitetail : BAMBI - original way to phrase it

46. Big affair : FÊTE

47. Birdbrain : DOLT - ooops, not DODO, but 50% correct

49. Douglas __ : FIR

51. Labor gp. that initially supported FDR : CIO

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment