Friday, November 14, 2014

Saturday, Nov 15th, 2014, Barry C. Silk

Theme: Saturday Silkie~!

Words: 70 (missing Q,W)

Blocks: 26

Well, I figured it was time for a beating from a Barry Silk puzzle, and he did not disappoint.  This one took me my full personal time, plus I needed red-letter help to see where I went horribly wrong.  Some very clever mis-direction, plus a solid set of shady Saturday clues that drained my brain - but I loved it~!  Triple 10-letter pinwheel, with two sets of 6/7/8-letter stacks and a low block count made this one enjoyable - but I will admit to a cringe moment.  Some of the longer answers;
11a. Key of Brahms' Symphony No. 4 : E min - so I threw in the "M" and waited; the second part is typically 'MAJ' or 'MIN', and the first part is A,B,C,D,E,F, or G - easy, right?

13d. At all : IN THE LEAST - oh, so vague

55a. Device used in WWII pilot training : TRAMPOLINE - I just learned that this man was the inventor

28. Psychic : MIND READER - I had the reader part, but wanted PALM, CARD, etc.


OR WA ND~!

ACROSS:

 1. Emergency beeper : SMOKE ALARM - Dah~!  I was stuck in volunteer fire-fighter mode - I have a buddy of mine who carries an emergency beeper with him at all times

15. Former Lagos-based carrier : AIR NIGERIA - I went with ---- AIR, and I was in the right frame of thinking, but bass-ackwards

16. "__ Girl": 2012 best-seller : GONE - took too long to remember this

17. Item on a therapist's office table, maybe : KLEENEX BOX - vague, but a good one

18. Airing : ON TV - I got it, but "phew"

19. Coin feature : EDGE - head, tail, face

20. Xi preceders : NUs

21. Cuthbert of "Happy Endings" : ELISHA

23. Florida pros : BUCs - ah, the football team; I should have known better with the abbr of pros; I was thinking RAYS

25. Like cockatoos : CRESTED - the original "mohawk"


26. Plain : HOMELY

29. Smoke shop choice : PANATELA - Cigars are measured by length and ring size;  I smoke these, which measure 4 x 30 (cigarillios)


30. Term coined by Dior : A-LINE - dress shape, and I did not know this


31. Capital of Belarus : MINSK - I had the M and K in place, and so I took an educated WAG

32. __ room : REC

33. Zest : RIND - ah, the part of the fruit, not the enthusiasm definition - I went with ELAN

34. Sole piece : FILET - ARGH~!  I was so stuck on shoes and sneakers, I never caught onto the 'fish' concept

35. Starbucks offering : CHAI - OK, their tea

36. Commonly rented item : DVD - ah, not "CAR" - seemed common enough

37. Nook reads : ZINES - Meh.  In fact, meh again.  I went with EBOOK, which did not jive with the plural of the clue, and then EMAGS, and that makes more sense than ZINES

38. Raise : HOIST

39. Nightingale and others : HEROINES - referring to Florence, not the bird

41. Full of grime : SMUTTY - I tried FILTHY, but we're looking for the grime more commonly found in, say, Hustler

42. Discharged : EGESTED

43. Ultra Set Trap maker : d-CON - 4 letters and a "trap"~? Try d-CON


44. Qatar locale : ARABIA


45. Word after Premier or Grand : CRU - Winery term; the Wiki

46. Like roulette wheels : SPUN - ah, very clever

50. Extinct dove relative : DODO

51. Food fit for a queen bee : ROYAL JELLY - learning moment for me; the Wiki

54. At any time : EVER

56. "Nebraska" Oscar nominee : DERN - Bruce, and he won "Best Actor" for his role at the Cannes Film festival

57. Hill prize : SENATE SEAT

DOWN:  

1. Benefit : SAKE - as in "for the --- of...."

2. Not so hot : MILD - not WARM, not COLD, more like the spice of your sauce

3. Wash. neighbor : OREGon - see Onward~!

4. Calisthenics exercise : KNEE BEND

5. Article for Nietzsche : EIN - not "DER"

6. Bureau : AGENCY - I started the Castle Home Inspection AGENCY, but it's not a bureau - the FBI is a better example

7. F Sport maker : LEXUS - I was stuck in "FORD" mode, since their trucks are F-series

8. Wall St. figures : ARBS - arbitrators

9. __ Negro: Amazon tributary : RIO - WAG

10. "Castor and Pollution" artist : MAX ERNST - nice play on the constellation Gemini and the twins, Castor & Pollux


11. Not exactly the modest type : EGOIST

12. Smash : MONSTER HIT

14. California Gold Rush town : NEVADA CITY - and a semi-clecho 31d. Worked in a rush? : MINED

22. Intelligence failure : LEAK

24. Diminutive suffix : ULE - um, like miniscule~?

25. Rabologist's collection : CANES - another vague reference; some Pinterest

26. Stubborn : HARD-HEADED

27. Oil producer : OLIVE GROVE

29. A lot : PILES - vague

34. Certain master's area : FINE ARTS

35. Advises : COUNSELS

37. Ristorante order : ZITI

38. Ins. plan : HMO

40. "South Pacific" screenwriter Paul : OSBORN

41. Carve : SCULPT

43. Play, maybe : DRAMA - vague; could have been the "fun" definition of play

45. Color in the four-color process : CYAN

47. Barre move : PLIE

48. It's out on a limb : ULNA - very clever; the bone in your arm (limb)

49. Duma vote : NYET - Россия

52. Source of iron : ORE

53. Louis in a ring : JOE

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment