Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday, May 10th, 2014, Mitch Komro

Theme: None

Words: 64 (missing J,Q,Z)

Blocks: 25

 YES~!!!  This one looked daunting, to say the least, but I did manage to solve it - though I have to admit to two red-letter checks. :>(  I did some research, and it looks like Mitch is new to the LAT scene - he has had 6 NYT puzzles, the last one dating back to 2004.  His grid today has a truly symmetrical pinwheel design which boasts the lowest block count I can recall, and I think the fewest words, too.  This led to monster 8 X 6 chunks in the corners, plus 4 crossing 11-letter words on the inside;

24a. Opportunity seeker's words : GIVE ME A SHOT - that's all I'm asking....

42a. Began chastising : STARTED IN ON

22d. Gulf War code name : DESERT STORM

9d. Visibly awestruck : OPEN-MOUTHED - if certain events played out smoothly last night, I invited someone to stop here at the blog and take a peek at what I do; I am 'visibly awestruck' when I see her....


ONWAAARD~!!!
 
ACROSS:

 1. Name : ACCUSE - Dah~!! Went with HANDLE first - I did know the "E" was correct

7. On-again, off-again : SPORADIC

15. Allure maker : CHANEL - ah, I was thinking cars; so, Toyota does not make the Allure....my friend Adam owns a restaurant out here on L.I. called "A lure", which is a pretty clever name for its location on the Sound and the Bay

16. First of August? : CAPITAL A - It's the first letter of a name, too....I knew that the last letter of the answer would be an "A" from the question mark, but I wondered if there was another word to describe double vowels because "diphthong" wouldn't fit

17. Soup choice : TOMATO - Dah~! I had the "O", but stared at this one way too long

18. Metal seeker : ORE MINER - DETECTOR fit, too

19. 1936 Olympics standout : OWENS - had to wait on a few perps to recall this name
                                                                                                         ..
20. Band with an umlaut on the "n" in its name : SPINAL TAP - Oh, I am all over this clue - so many umlauts to choose from....


21. Aggressively promote : FLOG

22. It's all in your head : DREAM - technically speaking, so is your BRAIN

23. "Jabberwocky" creature : TOVE - complete W.A.G. - the Wiki on the poem

27. Lifesaver, at times : NET

28. Not quite as many : ONE LESS - How ironic that I had "CALAMITY" at 1d, and so I tried TWO LESS at first, and thought "there's no way that got in the puzzle"

29. "You betcha!" : "SURE~!"

31. Sneer at : DERIDE

32. Conducted a trial : TESTED

36. Like some U.S. mail : CERTified - the only thing certified at UPS is the insanity


38. With a quiver : SHAKILY - because 'crossbow' didn't fit (Har-har~!)

39. Taft became its president after his term as U.S. president : ABA

44. __ salad : COBB

46. Scandinavian bard of yore : SKALD - the straight up word for "poet" in the language

47. __ Harker, heroine in Stoker's "Dracula" : MINA - I just saw this for the first time about a month ago - not that great, seemed to drag on a bit, but - Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors; Commissioner Gordon, Sirius Black, and "Zorg"; what movie is this last character from?

48. Heading for : EN ROUTE TO

50. Big Ben sounds : BONGS

51. It's unpleasant to end on one : SOUR NOTE - This clip contains one of the best sour notes I can recall - and it set the tone for the movie

52. Word often seen after rinse : REPEAT- and preceded by "Lather" on your shampoo bottle

53. Not 100 per cent : IMPAIRED

54. She beat Midori for the 1992 Olympic gold medal : KRISTI - Yamaguchi

55. Without holding back : TO THE MAX

56. "Wait a minute" : "ONE SEC"

DOWN:

1. Unforeseeable event : ACT OF GOD - the one NOT covered by your insurance

2. Order at a mess : CHOW LINE

3. Dropped by : CAME OVER

4. Devilish : UNANGELIC - I had the "U", "A" and "L", so this was a complete W.A.G. - it's only when I came to do the write-up that I said "Hey, that was right?!?"

5. Gig arrangements : SETS - Musical gigs, and what the band plays in between drinking binges

6. "Don't Bring Me Down" gp. : ELO

7. Checks (out) : SCOPES

8. Outcasts : PARIAHS

10. Device for un poeta : RIMA - I'm guessing this is Spanish for poetry and rhyme

11. Leaning : ATILT

12. Robespierre foe : DANTON - Notables from the Frawnche Revolution

13. Start of a bequest : I LEAVE - "to my son, I LEAVE the Porsche 918..."

14. Shag, e.g. : CARPET - Yeah, baby, Yeah~!

20. Mmes., in Mexico : SRAs

25. Ancient Iranians : MEDEs

26. __ water : TREAD

30. Treat once known as an I-Scream Bar : ESKIMO PIE - Nailed it

33. Lilliputian quality : TININESS

34. String out : ELONGATE - a bit 'meh' for me; I wouldn't say addicts get "elongated"....

35. Like the New York Yankees, historically : DYNASTIC - Screw the Yankees - and I'm from NY

37. Break, in Bath : TAKE TEA - Bath, the city in England

38. WWII battle site : St.LO - more Frawnche

39. Nails the exam : ACES IT

40. Turkish Taffy maker : BONOMO - the "B" was my last fill, and it was a W.A.G.

41. Short : ABRUPT

43. Like "Midnight Cowboy," originally : RATED X - I remembered this, and went with "X-RATED" first, but the letter combinations weren't working

45. __ Peak, highest mountain in Idaho : BORAH

49. Combined, in Chartres : UNIE -  more Frawnche

50. Swiss capital : BERN

52. "The Body Snatcher" studio : RKO - Here's the Wiki on this one; not to be confused with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", which terrorized me as a child....I didn't sleep comfortably for a year - that's when they come and GET you~!

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment