Friday, November 1, 2013

Saturday, Nov 2nd, 2013, Barry C. Silk

Theme: Saturday Silkie

Words: 70 (missing X,Z)

Blocks: 32

    I expected a Saturday Silkie, and was not disappointed.  Today's offering was pretty straight forward, at least for me.  Not too many obscurities, and enough 'easy' crossings to take a healthy stab at the longer fills.  Interesting middle stack of a spanner and two offset 14-letter words, and triple 8's and 6's in the corners.  For today:

 33. Sirius B, for one : WHITE DWARF STAR - I knew we were looking for a "STAR" here, but on my first pass, I thought it was a BINARY, um, something-something STAR.  I am a huge fan of "Ancient Aliens", and the show repeatedly mentions how this star system has something to do with extra-terrestrials


38. Food safety aid : MEAT THERMOMETER

39. They included Chopin's "Prelude in E Minor," in a film title : FIVE EASY PIECES - funny, but now that I know the movie has a character who was once studying piano, the title makes much more sense....

!~DRAWNO

ACROSS:

 1. Some legal cases : ATTACHES - DAH~! Right off the bat, I got "43A" thinking this was a court 'case', not a brief 'case'

9. Its results commonly fall between 70 and 130 : I.Q. TEST - I was tested in high school; care to guess what my number was?

15. Take inventory? : SHOPLIFT - "Marriage is a punishment for shoplifting in some countries"  - What movie~!?!?!?

16. Shade : NUANCE - ooh, good Saturday clue for this word

17. Nurturing : MOTHERLY

18. Shilling spender : KENYAN - I threw in BRITON, but was pretty sure it was wrong - a Kenyan shilling is worth about .012 US dollars as of yesterday

19. O or A, e.g. : ALer - ARGH~!  Got me again~!  The Athletics and Orioles of MLB; I went with "TYPE", because they're both blood types; it wasn't until Aphrodite showed up ( alas, only in today's puzzle ) did I give it up


20. Bottom topper : TALC - Ah, yes, a quick pat on the bum with the baby powder

22. Old-school lament : EGADS~!

23. Discharged British soldier : DEMOB - to be demobilized - got it

25. Electronic music genre : TECHNO - I like the electronic genre - odd, coming from a kid who grew up on Iron Maiden.  An electronica sample


27. Cologne article : DER

29. Sign of summer : LEO Astrological sign; I've been reading my horoscope a lot lately - it seems to be a day behind, instead of ahead....

30. Roxy Music alum : ENO

40. Princeton Review subj. : GRE - Graduate Record Examinations, follwed by -

41. MIT Sloan degree : MBA - Master of Business Administration

42. Wheels : CAR - I'm going to have to wait on new wheels - I am officially "cut" as a driver on Jan 15th, and then all trainee drivers will be brought back s-l-o-w-l-y

43. Took in : MISLED - not the sewing/altered took in, not the "movie" took in

46. Staircase support : NEWEL - Meh - this is more of a stair handrail support, but I'm a nit-picking carpenter


50. Arabic for "struggle" : JIHAD - a WAG, but a sensible one - the SW was my last corner to fill in

53. Salts : TARS - Slang words for sailor

55. "The Diana Chronicles" author Brown : TINA

56. Fulfills a need : AVAILS

58. They get high on occasion : SOPRANOS - Har-har~!

60. More futile : VAINER

61. Ring : ENCIRCLE - the verb today

62. Makes hot : ANGERS - ah, not ANNOYS

63. 2012, e.g. : LEAP YEAR - partial hybrid solar eclipse tomorrow AM

DOWN:

1. Equally hot : AS MAD - ah, the same kind of "hot" found in 62A

2. Oarlock pin : THOLE - sticking up from the gunwales


3. Tribal emblem : TOTEM - this is what I wanted to fill in, but it was not agreeing with my "TYPE"

4. Venus counterpart : APHRODITE - sheesh~!  Check out from whence she was born....

5. Indians' home, on scoreboards : CLEveland - always a little baseball for C.C.~!  (BTW, "Major League" was on the other night - still funny, IMO )

6. "Cotton Candy" musician : HIRT - I'll let you link away

7. Key for some clarinets : E FLAT - fill in "FLAT", and wait....

8. Panache : STYLE

9. Newspaper supply : INK

10. Nickname for Leona Helmsley : QUEEN OF MEAN

11. Sierra follower, in the NATO alphabet : TANGO - see below

12. Singer born Eithne Patricia Ní Bhraonáin : ENYA - crossword staple, and pretty much an educated WAG

13. Whole lot : SCAD

14. Place for an adder? : TENS - one who 'adds' uses ones, tens, hundreds, etc., columns to line up for summing

21. Wood shop device : C-CLAMP - great for doing you brake pads, too - which is on my to-do list this weekend

24. Author of the children's book "The Saga of Baby Divine" : BETTE MIDLER

26. Valiant : HEROIC

28. Therapy goals : REHABS - sober house goals, too

30. Major finale? : ETTE - majorETTE

31. Highland rejections : NAEs

32. Bruin great : ORR - Hockey; the NY Rangers are starting to improve; EddyB's Sharks are 10-1

33. Small dam : WEIR

34. Eat : HAVE - ah, not DINE

35. Make potable, as seawater : DESALT

36. Like some humor : WRY - minor change from Dry to Wry

37. Cabinet part : SECRETARY - Government cabinet, that is - I was all in carpentry mode; stile, rail, panel, shelf, etc.

38. Plant activity: Abbr. : ManuFacturinG - industrial plant, that is

43. Bates College locale : MAINE - Oddly, I WAGed ORONO, because of the "O" from ANNOYS; HEY - I was in the right state~!

44. Oil holder : EASEL - ooh, a bit of a stretch, but yes, an oil painting can be supported by an easel

45. Go (on) dully : DRONE

47. Recoil : WINCE

48. Name on a WWII flier : ENOLA - Gay, dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima

49. Surgery tool : LASER

50. Language of software engineers : JAVA

51. Novelist Turgenev : IVAN

52. White House chief of staff after Haldeman : HAIG

54. Humane org. : SPCA

57. Yearbook sect. : SRs - Here's my senior pic, 24yrs ago



59. Criticize : RIP - and yes, you can "RIP" into my photo all you want~!!!

 SierraPapaLimaYankeeNovemberTangoEchoRomeo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment