Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday, Jun 22nd, 2013, Barry C. Silk

Theme: Saturday Silkie

Words: 70 (missing Q,X,Z)

Blocks: 28

PHEW~!  This one was a workout, and my brain is 23D.  Alas, the crossing of two proper names got me, so I must admit to a DNF.  In fact, a lot of names, and quite a bit of baseball for our C.C.  One grid climber today:

8. Breakfast choice : WHOLE WHEAT BAGEL - I prefer an everything with cream cheese

And some of the 10-letter answers; 4 in the across, and 4 in the downs:

23. Record holder for most games played at shortstop for one team : DEREK JETER - This guy, from the NY Yankees; I always thought his name was great for crosswords; all "E"s

32. Double : TWO-BASE HIT

13. Singer covering "Purple Haze," probably : ACID ROCKER - Despite being a left-handed guitar player, I could never get in to Jimi Hendrix; I do however, like ACID jazz, like this; not for the feint-hearted

27. Aces : HOLES IN ONE - Cards?  Tennis? Ah - golf; Mike has tickets to see the LPGA US Open, played here on L.I. next week

onwARD~!

ACROSS:

1. Miller Park team nickname : BREW CREW - The Milwaukee Brewers

9. Manifesto fodder : DOGMAS

15. Prickly growth : ROSEBUSH

16. Flying star : AIR ACE - I got the chance to do this when I worked for the architect near MacArthur Airport

 

17. Certify : ATTEST TO

18. Van Morrison song whose title is spelled out in the chorus : GLORIA - I have linked some music; someone else can grab this one

19. Computer __ : GEEK - I had such a scare this week; Monday my laptop went haywire, and I was really bummed out for half the week; I managed to get in and ditched the corrupted software, ran an error check, and then did a system restore....blessings

20. Sets : GELS

22. Dusters, perhaps : MAIDS - ah - not the Dodge - actually, theirs was the Demon

25. More pallid : ASHIER

29. Capital of Österreich : WIEN - Vienna, Austria, if I am not mistaken; map

30. Modern address ending : COM - take your pick - GOV, EDU, NET....

34. She married during her father's presidency : LUCI - Lyndon Baines Johnson's daughter, who married in 1966

35. Like soft carpets : PILED - ah, not PLUSH

36. "Friends" actress, familiarly : JEN - Jennifer Aniston; I will refrain this week....

37. They may be warnings : BARKS

38. "Without __": Grateful Dead album : A NET - My friend Fred is a Dead Head; I prefer Van Halen's "Live Without A NET"

39. Lenten fare, say : MEAGER DIET

41. QB protectors : RGs - Right Guards in football

42. Alliance : PACT

43. Parfait features : LAYERS

44. Former Crayola color that's still one when its name is reversed : VIOLET BLUE - I am guessing the current crayon is "Blue Violet"....

47. Squeaky sound? : LONG E - eeeee....

48. Mideast's House of __ : SAUD

49. Feudal estate : FIEF - WAGed it

53. Clashing : AT ODDS - Nailed it

55. Vivaldi opera based on "The Decameron" : GRISELDA - one that did me in, crossing 46D

57. Rome's Via __ : VENETO

58. Time's Person of the Century, 1999 : EINSTEIN - Well, with the revelation of E=mc², and the theory of relativity, seemed like a good choice

59. Childish retort : ARE NOT

60. Barbershop chair features : LEG RESTS - I was thinking FOOT rests, and it wouldn't fit

DOWN:

1. Name-drop, say : BRAG - I was going to go with Wild Side from Mötley Crüe, but instead I will offer this one

2. Mechanical method : ROTE

3. Cádiz-to-Málaga dirección : ESTE

4. Quarter segment : WEEK - 13 weeks to a quarter in a fiscal year

5. "The Big Bang Theory" airer : CBS - TBS worked, too

6. "Jersey Roots, Global Reach" university : RUTGERS

7. Methyl bisulfate, e.g. : ESTER

9. The U.N.'s Hammarskjöld : DAG - Crossword experience got me this one

10. Crude guys? : OILMEN - HA~! I did have OILERS to start

11. Old fourpence coin : GROAT - The Wiki


12. First female professor at the University of Paris : MARIE CURIE

14. Vast expanses : SEAS

21. Squaw Valley sport : SKIING

23. Needing a charge : DEAD

24. Fly, in a way : JET

25. How some bonds are bought : AT PAR

26. Candidate's concern : SWING VOTER

28. Sarcastic retort : I BET

31. Visibility impediments : MISTS - HAZES, VEILS, SMOGS all worked

33. Throws out : EJECTS

34. Fictional cocker spaniel : LADY - I'm hoping MY lady is at Home Depot tomorrow

 

37. Scottish countryside sight : BRAE

39. Sally __ : MAE

40. Getting around : ELUDING

42. Admitted guilt for : PLED TO

45. Utah city : OGDEN

46. Pulitzer author Alison : LURIE - total unknown; here's her website bio

47. Soap containing ground pumice : LAVA

49. Bash : FETE

50. Dots on cartes : ILES - Islands on French maps

51. Work on a proof : EDIT

52. Ballpark figures : FANS - not EST(imate)S

54. Inebriate : SOT

56. Uzbekistan, once: Abbr. : SSR

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment