Friday, April 5, 2013

Saturday, Apr 6th, 2013, Brad Wilber and Doug Peterson

Theme: None

Words: 70 (missing J,Q)

Blocks: 32

  Lots of white on the first across pass today, and with a fair number of names and "?" clues,  I was not feeling this one until my down pass, which gave me a smattering of letters to help with the long fill.  Only two letters gave me trouble in the end.  Brad & Doug are becoming regular Saturday contributors; today their field was dominated by 11-letter triples, and a pair of 10-letter downs:

1. Fashionable heelless footwear : BALLET FLATS - do you consider ballet flats fashionable?  I thought they were talking about these, which I think are ugly

15. Liqueur used to color a Bloody Smurf cocktail : BLUE CURACAO - never had one; here's the recipe

17. Pejorative nickname for one supporting a cause via unproductive feel-good measures : SLACKTIVIST - cute

58. Sitcom about the Buchmans : MAD ABOUT YOU - I loved this show until the baby came along

62. Stand firm in the face of defeat : BRAZEN IT OUT

64. "Prepare to be amazed!" : ABRACADABRA - musical link

12. Drive nuts : EXASPERATE - straight up; I thought it might be PUT IN A RAGE, since I had the RA-E to start

27. Road trip listening : AUDIO BOOKS - I keep meaning to try this out on my tablet, but I haven't even used the device for my Home Inspection business yet

and Onward~!

ACROSS:

12. "The Sixth Sense" sense : ESP - Meh, I don't like "Sense", "sense" and "-sensory" in this one

16. It's at the top of many a round face : XII - Twelve, on a clock 'face'; it's 5 o'clock somewhere~!


18. Place for a gondola : ALP - ARGH~!!! I could not find a three-letter word for the boat, or the railroad car....THIS gondola

19. Pub.'s client : AUTHor - and their publisher - anyone miss the "."?

20. Showed some hustle : MADE HASTE

22. Peerage member : EARL

24. Legal defendant: Abbr. : RESP.ondent - Right, Lemon?

25. Chain that makes a lot of dough : SBARRO - I was looking for the "S" at the end, thinking it's "let's eat at Sbarro's" - BZZT~!

28. Only British prime minister of Jewish birth : DISRAELI

32. "I'm with you!" : "COUNT ME IN~!"

34. Infamous 2001 shredders : ENRON - Popular this week

35. So-so connection? : AND - So-and-so

36. Conjure up : EVOKE - like 64A?

38. Teddy's Mount Rushmore neighbor : ABE - some humor

39. Voltaire's world-view : DEISM - more here

42. Glass, vis-à-vis electricity : INSULATOR - electricity cannot flow through glass; around here some of the insulators on the telephone poles are still glass, not ceramic

45. Like carry-ons : STOWABLE

47. Most unusual : RAREST

48. Adriatic port : BARI - map

49. Pasta suffix, commercially : RONI - Rice-a-Roni, Pasta-Roni

50. It was spawned by the Manhattan Project : ATOMIC AGE - I put in "ATOM BOMB"; only later did I see that I was short one letter

54. Precious ones : GEMS

57. Statesman in a Warhol series : MAO

61. Word of repulsion : ICK - I tried UGH first

63. Buns, e.g. : DOs - Hair-dos, although Princess Leia is the only person I know with two buns in one do

DOWN:

1. Small magazine articles? : BBs - HAR-HAR, that kind of magazine....but in my experience, I wouldn't really call it a magazine, more like a reservoir

2. __ parmigiana : ALLA - Had VEAL to start, then OLLA

3. Island blast : LUAU

4. Speaking point? : LECTERN

5. Aaron of "Love Happens" : ECKHART - Also in "The Dark Knight", and "Thank You For Smoking"

6. Syllable of disapproval : TUT

7. Czech composer Rudolf : FRIML - This guy

8. Hot rock : LAVA

9. Biting : ACID

10. Police weapons : TASERS

11. "What'd I tell you?" : "SO THERE~!"

13. Dredger's target : SILT - not GOLD; I got caught up in those shows on History Channel

14. Hanger in a rack : PIPE

21. Likeness words : AS AN

23. Punic Wars victor : ROME - wasn't TROY - I was thinking of  the Iliad, not this conflict

25. A heap : SCADS

26. "High Fidelity" actress Lisa : BONET

28. Saturn satellite : DIONE


29. Signs : INKS

30. University of New Mexico team : LOBOS  - seemed like a sensible W.A.G. to me

31. Slower than 43-Down : INERT

33. Like many a movie genius : EVIL - My personal favorite


37. Note from abroad : EURO - paper money, that is

40. Crawled, say : SWAM - nailed it

41. Xylophone relative : MARIMBA

43. Listless : LANGUID

44. Short operatic piece : ARIETTA

46. Post-bender dose : BICARB - Hair of the Dog?  Me, I used to just tough it out with the pounding headache and body pains

49. Pear-shaped fiddle : REBEC


50. Surrounded by : AMID

51. Fiesta fare : TACO

52. Hebrew winter month : ADAR

53. City captured in the Six-Day War : GAZA

55. Brief "Don't ask so many questions!" : MYOB - Mind Your Own Business

56. Turn in the fridge : SOUR

59. __ whim : ON A

60. Hagen of the stage : UTA

--- On a personal note, my HR guy came around yesterday to offer me a driving position at UPS - my road test is Monday, 10am. - Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment