Friday, March 22, 2013

Saturday, Mar 23rd, 2013 Joe DiPietro

Theme: None

Words: 70 (missing J,X,Z)

Blocks: 32

  Well I feel better about my Saturday solving for the first time in a few weeks.  I got through this one with a handful of W.A.G.s and a little crossword ingenuity.  The last puzzle I had from Mr. DiPietro was Aug 2012, and my grid was accidentally blacked out in two squares.  I thought we had 'orphaned' letters in that one.  I think this one is OK~!  9/5 triples on the across, and 8/6 triples on the downs.  Some French, and some long fill:

11D. Counter order : HOLD THE MAYO - Did anyone else think of this clip?

23D. Inclined to believe : OF THE NOTION - I had a hard time parsing this one; AFTER NOTION? AFOREMENTIONED?  oh, duh

33A. High-scoring ball games : SLUG-FESTS - C.C., do you prefer a high scoring baseball game?  I like a good 6-3 hockey game myself - not good for goalie averages, and I'm not particularly fond of high scoring games when I play

37A. Like most light bulbs : SCREWED IN - one would be, too, "in" the MOTEL ROOM, when you're IN THE MOOD

 Um, ONward~!

 ACROSS:

1. Brought to ruin : SABOTAGED

10. "Appointment in Samarra" novelist : O'HARA - Wiki

15. "Is this being broadcast?" : "ARE WE LIVE?" - "Is this thing on?"

16. Baking apples : ROMES

17. Succeeded, in a way : MADE MONEY - by this definition, I have not succeeded, yet

18. Hands it to the performer? : CLAPS

19. Award estab. by King George V : OBE - Order of the British Empire

20. Jeu de mots : PUN - Frawnch

21. Water wheel component : PADDLE
 

22. Subterranean storage units, perhaps : SILOS - I tried CAVES first

24. "It's __ turn" : YOUR

27. Toot : TEAR - hmmm....humor, or alcoholic benders?

28. "Keep dreaming" : "AS IF~!"

29. Kin of -ian : ITE - I read this as KIND first; kind of -ian? Like Flemming?

30. Quest : HUNT

31. Sports figures : STATS - I had STARS, and it was 80% right

35. Trysting place : HOTEL ROOM - my Motel Room gave my 23D. "notion" fits

40. Brewer Frederick : PABST

44. Ending with tele- : THON - teleTHON

45. Slammer : PEN

46. Car registration datum : YEAR

47. Dallas quarterback after Bledsoe : ROMO - D-otto, are you a Cowboys fan, or a Titans (nee Oilers) fan?

48. Spitting nails, so to speak : IRED

50. "__ chance!" : BONNE - I had TAKE A---, at first; this made no sense to me; Frawnch phrase, here

51. Stumped : ORATED - Not the kind of stumped I usually get on a Saturday

53. Scent word : EAU - like De Toilette, a weak Frawnch perfume; "aromatic water"

55. Org. with many schedules : IRS

56. "Born Yesterday" playwright : KANIN - the Wiki

57. Contests with no ultimate winner, hopefully : ARMS RACES - Like "War Games", one learns 'futility' in a race where world wide casualties result in what is essentially a Pyrrhic victory

60. Spitzer who succeeded Pataki as New York governor : ELIOT - Tsk, tsk, got caught in the HOTEL ROOM, didn't he? 

61. Mac-based multimedia player : QUICKTIME - Meh, I am PC

62. __ list : DEAN'S

63. Up for it : IN THE MOOD - "I'm in the mood for love, simply because we've got one~!" - what movie, HUH?

DOWN:
1. Filled Asian appetizers : SAMOSAS
 

2. Foreign Service Officer to the Middle East, say : ARABIST

3. Fictional Amelia who turns 50 in 2013 : BEDELIA - heard OF her; the Wiki

4. Be light : OWE - yeah, I'm short this week; can I get you next Saturday?

5. Fills in : TEMPS

6. Bonds manager after Baker : ALOU - Felipe Alou (crossword staple) who managed Barry Bonds of the SF Giants; more baseball - I was thinking who ran  the division of government bonds at first

7. Weasley with a crush on Harry Potter : GINNY - Ron's little sister, who was  attacked by 'he who must not be named" in Chamber of Secrets; I will not spoil what happens to her in the last book....I like red-heads~! 

8. Big night : EVE

9. Actress Susan : DEY

10. Seal threat : ORCA - ain't Bin Laden....

12. Play about rival composers : AMADEUS

13. Tuck into a new bed : REPLANT - AH~!  THAT kind of bed~!

14. Sets forth : ASSERTS

21. Topping whose name means "please" : PREGO

25. Engine hose : OIL LINE - had to go "shopping" to figure this one out

26. Reversal of policy : U-TURN

32. Promulgate : SOW

33. Haggadah-reading ritual : SEDER - Timely clue/answer - What's your plans, Lemonade?

34. Metrosexual : FOP - a man devoted to or vain about his appearance; I believe there was some discussion about male manicures not too long ago....

36. Hardly enthusiastic : TEPID 

37. Buttered up : STROKED

38. Luther's "A Mighty Fortress," e.g. : CHORALE - I'll skip the musical link for this interesting bit

39. Cluj is its second-most populous city : ROMANIA - Cluj-Napoca, actually - map

41. Del Toro of "Che" : BENICIO - I liked him in "The Usual Suspects" - IMDb

42. Riviera city with an annual music festival : SAN REMO

43. Plaited : TRESSED

49. Step down : DEMIT - new word for me - straight up, it means to resign

50. "Designing Women" actress : BURKE - Delta

52. Strep throat-treating docs : ENTS - again this week - no elves this time

54. Moe who founded Folkways Records : ASCH - again this week

57. EPA measure of concern to asthma sufferers : AQI - Air Quality Index

58. Head up : RUN

59. Source of rectangular lettuce? : ATM - we're always looking for a new way to clue this standard; lettuce being slang for money

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment