Friday, November 16, 2012

Saturday, Nov 17th, 2012, Martin Ashwood-Smith

Theme: None

Words: 71

Blocks: 32

WOW~!!!

And again, WOW....

   I did not look at the grid, I just started with 1-across; it was when I got to 30-across that I realized this puzzle has SIX spanners, four-stacked in the middle AND two 14-letter climbers to boot.  I was able to finish this bear, but way over my allotted time, and  I do have to admit, I switched to red-letter to figure out where I went wrong.  I had "EGG" for "WAG", and FITTENDS for FITMENTS (a drawback to filling in, and then not going back and looking at what's wrong).  Truly drained my brain, but most satisfying.  A look at our author's construction, who is new to our corner;

17A. Words of relief : "AM I GLAD TO SEE YOU"~!

30A. Food stamps, e.g. : STATE ASSISTANCE - I was on state assistance while I lived in the sober house for 13 months; rent was $444/mo.

39A. Contributing factor in ozone depletion : COSMIC RADIATION - I had TEST IRRADIATION to start; not a half bad guess, considering my thoughts were on A- and H-bomb (and N-) type tests

40A. Without nostalgia : UNSENTIMENTALLY

41A. Chumley's title friend in a '60s cartoon series : TENNESSEE TUXEDO - never heard of either of them; I was born in 1971


59A. Leader elected in 2005 : POPE BENEDICT XVI - I was shocked to hear we have had fifteen Popes named Benedict; here's a full list; some didn't last a full year

8D. Daydreams : CASTLES IN THE AIR - nailed it - I love Castles, and I love this song

15D. Solution for lens transparency problems : CATARACT SURGERY

And just some brilliant cluing....

onward -

ACROSS:

1. "My Dinner With Andre" co-star Wallace __ : SHAWN - total unknown; more here

6. Offensively blunt : TACTLESS

14. Early Web browser : MOSAIC

16. Cadillac Ranch site : AMARILLO - well, I was pretty sure it was in Texas

19. Sanguine : RED

20. Royal Scots for more than three centuries : STUARTS - 1371-1714; more here

21. Salon job : SET - not DYE

22. Not kosher : TREF - learned from crosswords

24. First name in photography : ANSEL Adams, B&W beauty

25. Fit solidly : MESH

26. Mt. Carmel setting : ISRael

28. Needle point?: Abbr. : ESE - Great way to overcome the "Rome to Troy direction" cluing; Rome to Troy New York, that is - map


42. 1989 Jay Presson Allen monodrama : TRU

43. Bit of a laugh : HEE - had TEE, was close enough

44. Half of a downpour? : CATS - 50/50, and I guessed right. Who had DOGS~?

47. "Peg Woffington" author : READE

51. Way up : STEP - not HIGH

55. Hop-__-thumb : O' MY - The WIki on this story

56. Ulterior motives : AGENDAS

58. Galley propeller : OAR


62. Catholic recitation : AVE MARIA - I'm not Catholic; had to wait for perps

63. Target of a Pasteur/Roux vaccine harvested from rabbits : RABIES

64. Sycophant : YEA SAYER

65. Stripes : BANDS

DOWN:

1. Sharp : SMART

2. Big hit : HOMER - Ah, still get some baseball in for C.C. - I was on a "movie" wavelength

3. It's not for everyone : ASIDE

4. Comedian : WAG - now that's not what it means, at least not here....

5. Rock's Lofgren : NILS - Nailed it

6. Exit lines : TA-TAs - as in "I'm leaving, see-ya"

7. "L'elisir d'__": Donizetti opera : AMORE - well, I had A-O-E, so....and it gave me 16 and 20 across

9. Nevado __ Cruces: Andes section : TRES - map

10. Pack item? : LIE - what a pack of lies~!

11. Steven's wife on "Family Ties" : ELYSE

12. Tart fruit : SLOES

13. Gray area? : SOUTH - I thought it was BRAIN, then SKULL, then YOUTH - we're talking about the Civil War south

18. Grayish brown : DUN

23. Furnishings : FITMENTS

25. Cleavers : MEAT AXES

27. Commercial fishing boat : SEINER

29. Body of art? : STATUE

30. Deer tail : SCUT - the online Merriam-Webster dictionary lists it as a "short erect tail (as of a hare)"

31. Writing style : TONE

32. Professional gp. : ASSN - association

33. Indian titles : SRIs

34. Corresponding : SAME

35. French noodle product? : IDEE - French for IDEA, a thought from your brain noodle

36. Historic Egyptian lifeline : NILE

37. How vichyssoise is usually served : COLD - I knew this

38. Greek war goddess : ENYO - never heard of her

44. Patient responsibility : CO-PAY

45. "Don't make __!" : A MOVE

46. Not at all laid-back : TYPE-A

48. Selection word : EENIE - eeny meeny miny moe - various spellings

49. "Now seems it far, and now __": Scott : ANEAR - ah well, an "A" word

50. CD letters : DDD - the way the recording is, well, recorded; I just learned something new; it's referred to as the SPARS code

52. Deadly agent : TOXIN

53. Hung over? : EAVED - har-har, house eaves are "hung" over the walls

54. Schoolmarmish type : PRISS

56. Quatrain rhyme scheme : A B A A

57. Labor pain? : SCAB - I'm in a union, so I knew this one

60. Common pair? : EMs - coMMon, the two "M"s in the middle

61. "We'll let you know" letters : TBA - To Be Announced

Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment