Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday, April 7th, 2012, Peter A. Collins

Theme: None

Words:

Blocks:

Now THAT'S a pinwheel ~!!!

  Triple 8's and 6's going counterclockwise around a "cross" - I love the pure symmetry.  As for the solve, well, that was not as pretty.  I have to admit, I needed to look up two locations to get me to completion, but in my defense, I do not live in California - or the Bible; namely -

1D. City where a Pauline letter was received : PHILIPPI - so I did not know my Paul epistles, and I went searching for a list, here - I had "-PPI", so I figured it out from there

and from the other quadrants, for no particular reason;

18A. Clancy's Jack Ryan, e.g. : CIA AGENT - I liked Alec in "Red October"; and Harrison in "Patriot Games"

36D. Japanese restaurant order : TERIYAKI - also a wings flavor at Buffalo Wild Wings, #2

59A. Regularly monitored, in a way : ON PAROLE - I was going for "ON PATROL", but my 40D was definitely right - and then the V-8 can...

Onward~!

ACROSS:

1. Human mind : PSYCHE - argh~! I knew this...

7. Petty disagreement : SQUABBLE - Great word

15. Show whose original house band was The Buckaroos : HEE-HAW - too young to know this one

16. Shoe parts : OUT SOLES - well, sure, if there's an IN sole, there must be...

17. Phrase that gets a caller's attention? : I RAISE - ah, not "FREE ME", but a poker 'call'

19. Closer : LATCH - not really a closer, more like a "keeps closed" device - and I wasn't sure if this was cloZer or cloSer, like "not far", or 'a near'

20. Round Stic maker : BIC - disposable pen

21. Frond part : PINNA



22. __ jure : IPSO - legalese, right Lemon?

23. Nut crackers : BEAKS

25. Modify : EDIT

26. 21st Greek letter : PHI - well, I can never remember the order; PHI, CHI, PSI - hey, the "I" is always right....

27. Hairstyles like MacGyver's : MULLETS - sorry, not linking an image...

29. Understand : SEE

30. Upright citizen? : PIANIST - upright piano, and its player

32. Meshed dividers : NETS

34. Words from the head of a line : I'M NEXT

35. Kind of justice : POETIC

39. Work that can't be done alone : DUET - unless you're this "guy"

41. Undermine : TORPEDO

42. Wagner's "__ Rheingold" : DAS

45. Pump pick : PREMIUM - not REGULAR

47. Rabbit friend : ROO - From Winnie the Pooh

48. Marine predator : ORCA

50. Leg strengthener : SQUAT - Two "Qs", one "Z" and "X", but no F and J

51. Streamlet : RILL

52. City in Florida's horse country : OCALA

54. Carrier letters : USS - was SO wanting this to be uPs, but it's aircraft carrier, not parcel carrier

55. Enter : KEY IN

56. Home entertainment piece : WALL UNIT

58. Delivery class? : LAMAZE - About the only thing we DON'T deliver at UPS...

60. Brings out : EVOKES

61. City near the Khyber Pass : PESHAWAR - geography lesson

62. Shooting locale? : RAPIDS

DOWN:

2. Ranking angels : SERAPHIM - just had this as "9. Celestial creatures : SERAPHS" yesterday

3. Reminiscent of the 1919 poem "The Second Coming" : YEATSIAN - having to do with poet YEATS; is this poetic justice?

4. City with a California State campus : CHICO - My other "cheat", found the list here

5. Dish of leftovers : HASH - OLIO, STEW, SLOP, ah, yes....

6. Lea bleater : EWE

7. Talkative : SOCIAL

8. Popular financial software : QUICKEN

9. Hagen of the stage : UTA

10. "Immediately!" : ASAP - I prefer this A.S.a.P. - Adrian Smith and project - Zak Starkey on drums

11. "I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history" speaker, familiarly : BOGIE - Humphrey BOGART

12. Homogenizes : BLENDS

13. "Of Mice and Men" rabbit lover : LENNIE

14. Impressive spread : ESTATE - not pâté, more like this

20. Middle manager? : BELT - very good - my middle section needs more than a belt lately

23. Raid squad : BUSTERS

24. Run an errand, say : STEP OUT

27. Error : MIX UP

28. It's often preceded by a warning : STORM

31. "Pushing Daisies" pie maker : NED - never watched the HBO show

33. Ninth in a series: Abbr. : SEPtember

37. Adored : IDOLIZED

38. Hipster's trait : COOLNESS

40. Only word heard in a 1958 song of the same name : TEQUILA - Not Wipeout

41. Reunión attendees : TIAS - the accent denotes a foreign word, this time my abhorred French

42. Genre characterized by nonsense syllables : DOO-WOP - link away ~!

43. Recherché : ARCANE - that F-F-French again

44. Works near an arena, perhaps : SCALPS - sells tickets "illegally" at a higher price, hence....

46. Assemble, as troops : MUSTER

49. To whom many pray : ALLAH

51. Clean again : RE-MOP

53. Vibes : AURA

55. Island brew : KAVA

57. "Immediately!" : NOW - ASAP didn't fit; oh wait....

58. The Once-__: "The Lorax" character : LER - The Wiki


Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment