Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday, Oct 15th, Barry C. Silk

Theme: None

Words: 70

Blocks: 30

Huh~! I thought I had the wrong puzzle, since I thought I just did a Barry Silk - then I practically ran through this one, and was really sure I had already done this - but no, our second Silkie in the last three Saturdays....a cool-looking grid with two crosses and a staircase, and missing only a "B" in the outcome. Triple stacks of tens and nines in a pinwheel fashion, and I must admit, the only red-letter I needed was the "Z" in LINZ - too "lay - Z" to look it up.

Onward~!

ACROSS:

1. Nightly news graphic : WEATHER MAP - switched to DOWN, did a "33A" on 'WASTES', came back to this with a WAG off the "W"

11. Dweeb : TWIT - my mother's favorite insult

15. Mechanic's supply : AXLE GREASE

16. Memorable word from Pilate : ECCE - Painting "Ecce Homo!" with Pilate offering Jesus

17. Memory aids : SMART DRUGS - new to me, came from the perps; a little research here

18. Beyond the horizon : AFAR

19. Vacation souvenir : TAN - if I go on vacation, I come home with a T-shirt - otherwise, my color is usually 'red'

20. Practice with dolls : VOODOO - oh, the religious practice - DF this early in the AM?

21. Austrian city on the Danube : LINZ - NOW I look at Google maps

22. It was founded by Henry VI : ETON - had the "E", guessed from there - what else can you 'found' when you're the King ???

24. Chance to shine : SOLO - ah, like with a guitar

25. Stamp closer? : EDE - Stampede - anyone remember this??? (cheats even back in those days)

26. Cuban title : SENOR

28. Name from the Latin for "I trust" : FIDO - I tried LIDO to start, then DIDO

30. Prepare for a coup : PLOT

31. One of two in Dickens's "Martin Chuzzlewit" : ZED

33. "Perfect!" : NAILED IT~! - a blog staple, for knowing an answer, and it's much more pleasing as the length of the word increases; 10-letter WEATHER MAP was pretty good for me

35. Seller of torpedoes and bullets : QUIZNO'S - sandwich shop, we have them here on Long Island - very similar to what I used to see in Ohio, called Grinders - toasted heroes

39. Gets one's act together : SNAPS TO

40. "The Beverly Hillbillies" sobriquet : UNCLE JED - Earworm - just had Flatt and Scruggs, too

42. Keystone figure : KOP

43. Downwind : ALEE

44. Warning : OMEN

46. 1965 protest site : SELMA

50. Basic, in coll. : REQ - uired, as in Manual Drafting before you can take AutoCAD

51. "No kidding?" : IT IS?

53. Outcry : ROAR

54. Playless? : TAUT - ah, as in a tarp

56. Bargains : STEALS

58. Old TV component : CRT - Cathode Ray Tube

59. Adman's start : IDEA - any one's start, really

60. Mollify : CONCILIATE

62. Look like a satyr : LEER - I had DEER, which sort of fit - Image

63. Particle physics subject : ANTI-MATTER

64. Actress Best : EDNA - Her Wiki

65. Minuscule : TEENY-WEENY - I had ACID jazz to start, and tried this, changed it, then went back

DOWN:

1. Squanders : WASTES

2. Subject of an awkward meeting, perhaps : EX-MATE

3. Program with steps : AL-ANON - AA, too, along with OA, GA, NA, and any other self-help group with these 12 steps


4. Rx instruction : TER - three times a day, I think


5. "Designed to Sell" network : HGTV - one of my favorite networks, I watch all the "Crashers" shows on Saturday mornings

6. Hungarian mathematician Paul : ERDOS - This guy

7. Deal with leaks in, perhaps : REROOF - this took too long for me - I had RE-SEAL for the longest time

8. Schmaltzy : MAUDLIN

9. On a par with : AS GOOD AS

10. Cozumel coin : PESO

11. Color akin to pine green : TEAL

12. "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" speaker : W.C. FIELDS

13. Volunteer's assurance : I CAN DO IT

14. Dvorák piece for two violins and viola : TERZETTO

23. Hose projection : NOZZLE

27. '70s-'80s Quebec premier Lévesque : RENE

29. Pen emanation : OINK - The pig pen, that is

30. Besiege (with), as questions : PEPPER

32. Zen meditation hall : DOJO

34. The Mekong flows along its border : LAOS

35. Statistical dividing point in a four-group data set : QUARTILE

36. On-road vehicle requirement since 1996 : UNLEADED

37. Haughty, unemotional woman : ICE QUEEN -  Liz, the "ice queen" at SUNY once asked me to dinner - I was so shocked, I missed my chance....

38. Musical half step : SEMITONE - Right, JazzB?

41. Global warming? : DETENTE - Cute

45. Vitamin in liver : NIACIN

47. Spot : LOCATE - The verb here

48. Mink relative : MARTEN - This - uh, no, not minx, this (OK, to be fair, here's one for the ladies)

49. Major route : ARTERY - this one doesn't fool me anymore


52. Like guck : SLIMY

55. Skater Lipinski : TARA

56. Jazz style : SCAT - not ACID, like these guys

57. Side with a hero : SLAW

61. Suburban suffix : ITE - SuburbanITE - that's me, now - I plan to be a country recluse in retirement


Splynter

No comments:

Post a Comment